cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bug Report: Link Sharing Dropbox Paper Templates

Bug Report: Link Sharing Dropbox Paper Templates

dennis10
Explorer | Level 3

I believe there is a bug with link sharing for Dropbox Paper Templates (.papert, not .paper, files)

I have several Dropbox Paper Template files. When I click on Share > "Anyone with this link can view" > Copy link, that link seems to work for anyone who is already logged into Dropbox.

But if they are not logged in, they get a 404 error. To reproduce this, just try opening the link in an private/incognito window. It used to be that if you weren't logged in, you would get a preview of the document with a link to log in.

My reply to @Daphne

(I am editing my original post because the bot keeps deleting my replies automatically as spam for some reason.)

Here is the 404 that I get.

dropbox_404.png

I'm using all the default settings. In particular, "anyone with the link can view" and under "Link for Viewing", I have "Anyone with link" under "Who has access". No password, no expiration, no disabling downloads.

The link works if the user is logged into Dropbox. It only doesn't work if they are not logged in. So I'm pretty sure the issue is on the server end.

Perhaps it would be easier if I just sent you the link that is not working. Is there a way I can share that with you privately? Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @dennis10, thanks for posting!

Could you send me a screenshot of the error that you're getting? The visual is always helpful, just in case we missed anything there.

Also, when you click the invite option for the Paper doc, can you click the "Settings" option towards the bottom and let me know what settings you have applied there?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dennis10
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne. Here is the 404 page I get.

dropbox_404.png

Here are my settings, although I really didn't change anything. Additionally, I have File settings > Viewer Info set to on.

dropbox_settings.png

I'm happy to share the Dropbox link with you privately. I have had several friends try this, and all of them are getting 404s unless they are logged into Dropbox, in which case they can see the file.

dennis10
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne I replied with images, but my reply got deleted as spam for some reason.

When I visit the link and I am not logged in, I get the 404 page that says "Please email paper-support@dropbox.com if this error persists."

I used all of the default settings. Under the "File Settings" tab, I have "Viewer Info" set to "On" (although I tried turning it off and it didn't do anything). Under the "Link for Viewing" tab, I have

• Who has access: Anyone can view
  • Require password: Off
  • Expiration: Off
  • Disable downloads: Off

I'm happy to contact you privately with the link to my Dropbox Paper Template. That might be the easiest way for you to debug the situation.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?