cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buggy synching on Linux

Buggy synching on Linux

theprof
Explorer | Level 3

I'm using Dropbox on a pop_OS distro of Ubuntu 21.04.  I've generally been happy with it, but tonite I started observing two problems.  The first is when I tried to copy in ten files, they were tagged in the file names as being "conflicted copies", even though they were definitely not being opened anywhere else and indeed were only just that moment being copied in.  The second is that when I tried moving the directory out of Dropbox in order to avoid this issue, Dropbox immediately recreated the directory (and a subdirectory) in the original location, minus any files.  I have no idea why this is happening or its precipitating conditions, but it seems quite worrisome.  I'm doing this in the first place because ten of my files seem to be missing. Just now, noticed something else.  I opened the same Dropbox directory on a Mac and observed the ten missing files!  So perhaps the Linux version is labeling them "conflicting" because of the files that are otherwise invisible on it although visible on the Mac?  The files, by the way, are EEG data files with a .egis suffix, although the Linux computer labels them as being Programs rather than being Binary files in the Files windows for some reason.  I used Terminal to look at the directory on Linux and the missing files are visible and are indeed labeled as being executables.  They have -rwxrwxrwx permissions, which is odd since they are not in fact programs.  This doesn't explain why they are invisible on Linux though.  The file names do not start with a period.  Oh wait, the formerly invisible files are now visible.  Not sure when or why.  Have any other Linux users observed any such issues before?

1 Reply 1

Re: Buggy synching on Linux

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @theprof - thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

I can't be sure how this might have happened, but for conflicted copies in general, you can have a look here.

On a side note, do you notice the same behavior on a supported environment? Are you able to see those files on our website from all of your devices?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?