cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU memory full while moving large files 500GB plus off CPU to Drop Box.

Highlighted

CPU memory full while moving large files 500GB plus off CPU to Drop Box.

New member | Level 2

Was updating Autocad and had limited space available on computer so I copied approx 250GB of new photos to DB and moved a couple files 500GB that were already in DB (probably shouldn't have) to DB.  CPU memory is used up and there is nothing able to delete.  The previous Drop box files seem to be copying repaeatedly as I have seen the *-4 on several files.  This has been running for nearly 24 hours.  How to stop Drop box sync?  Have business vesion so rewind option might be handy....  Any advice? Jamie 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: CPU memory full while moving large files 500GB plus off CPU to Drop Box.

Dropboxer

Hey @JamieQ, thanks for getting in touch here. 

Can you please clarify what you mean by “moved a couple files 500GB that were already in DB (probably shouldn't have) to DB”? This may explain any looping/repetitive syncing. 

Now, you can Pause Syncing while you sort this out, or you can Exit/Quit our app too. After you make the changes you need to make in your Dropbox folder, you can resume syncing or start our app up again. 

So, I think that in your situation, you could benefit from our Selective Sync feature. With this, you can choose which folders that are already in your account online you want to sync to your computer. All others will be removed from your computer’s Dropbox folder, and will be available only online, and on other devices, depending on their Selective Sync settings. 

Also, keep in mind that Dropbox Business team admins also have the option for Live Support. Your admin will find the relevant contact info in their Admin Console, or at https://www.dropbox.com/support while logged into their account online. 

I hope this is helpful. Get back with an update when you can. 

Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
You are correct in the loop issue. I had selected some files that already resides on DB to be moved to DB as well.

Actually a very large segment of the 500GB were a folder in DB.

I ended up sacrificing the large folder temporarily as I have another workstation at another office that had all the DB files on it (not hooked to internet) so that machine would not have seen any of the mods or syncs. Once the big file was gone the original sync finished.
Then I went in to view the carnage.
I was able to rewind several files and have only lost a couple items

Selective sync (as you describe) and a a new file saving and backup structure are in order. I’ll check in with support this week to see if we can rewind and find the other files.

I learned a lot more about DB than I cared to this weekend.

Your analysis of my issue was spot on.
The take away is DO NOT CREATE A LOOP WHERE YOU ARE SAVING A DROP BOX FILE TO ITSELF. It will grow and may create multiple copies of the same file, albeit there will be a _# designation with the copies.
Also learn and know the selective sync and rewind functions...

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Glad to hear you're all sorted now @JamieQ!

If you need anything else, we'll be just a post away. 😁

Wishing you a great rest of your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?