cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upload issues Android App

Highlighted

Camera Upload issues Android App

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox app (android) is uploading all photos and videos from the DCIM folder to "Camera Uploads"not just my photos (located in subfolder DCIM\camera).  The other sub-folders in the DCIM folder are created automatically by such apps as Facebook, ImageApp, Mi Carrefour etc.
I've tried moving these folders but the apps just keep putting them back.

Why doesn't Dropbox allow me to select the camera folder only?

Dropsync allows me to be specific but then I get duplicates because the Dropbox app changes the file name and Dropsync doesn't.

Any suggestions to make Dropbox app work properly or to make Dropsync app change the photo filenames in the same way as the Dropbox app would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Camera Upload issues Android App

Dropboxer
Hey SteveB, thanks for checking in with us here on this inquiry, I’d happily clarify matters more for you & we’ll take it from there, I hope you’re having a great May so far! 

You may keep in mind that the way the DCIM (could also be named as Library, Photos &c.) folder is updated by other sub-sections (or locations) on your phone usually depends on a pre-set set of specifications your mobile manufacturer has determined. If you run a google-search, you may find more details on the layout & rationale behind it. 

Following, you may keep in mind that the current way the automatic Camera Uploads feature works is to upload all the photos from your main Camera folder (and that is across all connected mobile devices if enabled) into the Camera Uploads folder. In other words, if other apps store content there, Camera Uploads will perceive it as newly created content & will promptly upload it online. 

Hopefully this info addresses your inquiry, though please keep me updated here if you have any additional thoughts you’d like to share, in order to follow-up with you more closely. Thanks again for your detailed post! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
I'm sad to see that you think that my issue is solved / answered.
You mostly repeated what I said my problem was but didn't address my questions regarding how I might proceed.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey SteveB, thanks for getting back in touch with me here on our discussion! 

You may keep in mind that I’ve unaccepted my previous post as a Solution, since you’ve mentioned that it doesn’t address the behavior you’re experiencing & you’d prefer a workaround instead. 

Let me re-iterate that, in case your phone is setup to store your downloaded photos on your default Camera Roll folder, then Dropbox doesn’t have a way to ignore them when you’re using the Camera Uploads feature. An alternative to avoid that behavior would be to try uploading your files manually (using the + Button) to Dropbox, where you’ll be given a choice to select only the ones you’d like to sync online. 

Other than that, I’ve already made sure to add your voice to the feedback gathered, as I understand that being able to ignore some folders when you’ve set up your phone to upload your photos and videos automatically would be useful to you.

I hope this is helpful to you & I’m wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Thank you Jane.
Yes, I understand from your previous post that "all" of the phone pictures will be uploaded due this lack of functionality (the absence of any method to "tell" the app which folder contains the photos).
Can I ask, will the photos uploaded manually with the + button, be similarly renamed? ie date followed by number.
Thank you for your attention.
Regards
Steve
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey Steve, nice meeting you (& by all means, that's what I'm here for)! 

You may keep in mind that should you decide to go per my (manual uploading) suggestion, your files will retain the original filename, which you can modify at any time using the format that fits you best. 

Please let me know how this option works for you here or just in case you have any additional questions! 

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Thank you for clarifying. In that case I'll stop using the Dropbox app and just use Dropsync instead (which also retains the original filename but is much more specific in the way folders can be selected). An unfortunate state of affairs really as all photos from my cameras will continue to be uploaded to "camera uploads" with the normsl, modified name.
Which means that I am now going to have to manually edit filenames for all photos from the mobiles if I am to mentain a uniform filing system.
(Alternatively i could just delete the unwanted garbage that the Dropbox app uploads there and continue using it.)
Nothing in life is simple eh?
Thanks again for your clarification and perhaps you could suggest to the software guys a tweak that lets us specify the photo subfolders.
Regards
Steve
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I believe the default photo folder for android is now DCIM.  So please can Dropbox use this folder for all camera downloads/uploads.  Or look for filetypes regardless of the folder as this will capture photos & pics stored for all other apps including facebook, whatsapp, etc.  I think the dropbox spec is now a bit old and needs updating.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?