cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Camera Upload still doesn't happen, until Dropbox app opened on iPhone XR

Helpful | Level 5

Annoyed I have to open my Dropbox app and switch to the photos tab, every time I want to take a photo and use it at my desktop. This was not necessary on the Android/Dropbox app. It is necessary on my shiny new iPhone, as reported here in 2017 https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Dropbox-only-updates-when-the-app-is-open-on-my-...

This happens at home on wifi where Dropbox "always" has access to my location, and needs much less than 10 minutes to upload. 

Also annoyed that thread is closed and marked "Solved." Blaming Apple does not count as a solution. Us little people out here in the wide world need you to not give up on actually fixing this.

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Camera Upload still doesn't happen, until Dropbox app opened on iPhone XR

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Bob_Stein,

Can you please send me a screenshot of your Camera Upload settings from the Dropbox app? Also, can you clarify for me when you mentioned Dropbox “always” has access to your location if you are referring to the location services settings of your iPhone?

If the background uploading is “on” in your Camera Uploads settings, can you please try toggling this setting off and on again? I know this seems a little pointless but you’d be surprised how often this works!

Looking forward to your reply - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne, thanks for the quick reply. ((For some reason I didn't get notified when you replied, nothing in the spam folder either, just a follow-up this morning.))

Here are the Camera Uploads settings.
2019-06-04 08.18.01.png

"Always" is what shows up under the iPhone Settings | Dropbox | Location:
2019-06-04 08.11.21.png

This must be the same "Always" that shows up under iPhone Settings | Privacy | Location Services | Dropbox:
2019-06-04 08.25.51.png

(The "Share My Location" setting is on, and "From This Device".)

By the way, these screenshots would not upload even if the Dropbox app was running. IT HAD TO HAVE FOCUS. So I'm not getting any action that could be described as "background".

Tried toggling the Background setting. Darn that didn't help: Took a couple screenshots, waited 5 minutes. But it wasn't until the Dropbox app HAD FOCUS that it uploaded. Also tried with the Dropbox app closed.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again @Bob_Stein,

Just to cover all bases, can you let me know if you have iCloud photo library enabled? Specifically, I’m wondering if you have optimized iPhone storage enabled on your device which will be optimizing and saving your full resolution photos on the iCloud server.

As the Dropbox app would need to connect to the iCloud server to retrieve the full resolution images, this might be a possible reason for the background uploading not working as expected. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

((This time I did get a notice of your reply, but my meat-brain missed it. Silly brain.))

I'm not familiar with the iCloud Photo Library. There is no app by that name but when I search for that at the Apple-y App Store I get the "Files" app which I have used. If I edit the "Browse" tab there, I see a very interesting and ominous Dropbox option that's turned off. Is that what you meant?

2019-06-07 12.29.56.png

I turned that on and dragged it to the top of whatever-list-that-is, took a photo, and . . . (waiting 5 minutes) . . . Alas no upload until the dropbox app has focus.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Reading up on this a bit, I think it used to be called iCloud Photo Library but it's now just called iCloud Photo. That's accessed from Settings | (my name) | iCloud | Photos. Here I think I see what you were getting at and yes it's turned on. 

2019-06-07 12.56.11.png

I can't uncheck this. It makes a little sense this is not trivial to undo. Turning off the whole iCloud Photos thing I get an ominous choice. Not sure I understand the implications. I THINK I want the red "Remove from iPhone". What I want is to only store my photos in Dropbox. I'm okay if they are NOT stored on my iPhone. I'm okay if there's NOTHING for me in iCloud. Your thoughts?

2019-06-07 12.58.21.png

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I went ahead and disabled iCloud Photos. But again, no help with the uploading. Photos I take with the camera are not uploaded until I open the Dropbox app and give it focus.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Bob_Stein, hope you had a good weekend!

Thanks a lot for providing all that info there, to have a further look into this I’d like to reach out to your email address associated with your Community profile. Let me know if this is okay for you.

Otherwise, if you’ve already submitted a Support ticket with our team, please feel free to let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) and I can follow up there with the info you’ve provided here.

Let me know - Cheers! 

Daphne

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Bob_Stein - how are you today?

I'm merely following up here; were you able to resolve your concern in the end and if so, what did the trick for you?

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for checking in, Walter. No this is still happening. No uploads unless my Dropbox app has focus. Sigh...

Yes you're welcome to contact by email, [personal information removed for security purposes]

((Daphne's post did not notify me. But Walters' did. Mentioned that before, notifications of posts are intermittent. Checked spam filter that time.))

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?