cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Camera Upload

Camera Upload

JGToll
New member | Level 2

This morning I plugged my iPhone into the charger and started uploading pics and videos via the DB app.  The file count was slightly over 2,000.  At the end of the day with only 500 pictures remaining, a message appeared stating the iPhone memory was almost full.  It has been just a few weeks since checking the memory on the phone but I recall less than half of the 128GB were used.  But even if I am mistaken and it was just "over" half of the memory was used, could the transfer of pics and videos cause the memory to fill so quickly?  Why has his happened?

Under the iPhone Storage, it shows the DropBox app is using 330MB.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @JGToll; thanks for posting on our Community!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you please send us a screenshot of the exact error you're getting?

Thanks a bunch!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JGToll
New member | Level 2

Good morning Walter, Thanks for your reply.   It wasn't so much an error but really a warning that my phone memory was almost full at the end of the day yesterday when about 1,500 pics and video files out of approx 2,000 files were uploaded to DB using the DB app.    See the image below, about half of the storage is filled with pics.  That just wasn't the case before the upload process started as written in the original message.

If the action of uploading pics from the iPhone to DB has caused my phone memory to fill, could I copy the pics from the folder named "Camera Upload" to another file for archive storage then delete the pic files in the Camera Upload folder?  Would that automatically clear the pics from the DB app on my phone and make more storage available?

Additionally, the DB app doesn't appear to be sucking up space per the other image below.  Any guess what is happening?

Thanks in advance for your reply, Jason

IMG_1E5975FAEB0D-1.jpegIMG_040836BBFEA5-1.jpeg

Daphne
Dropboxer
The photos that have been uploaded to Dropbox shouldn't be taking space locally on the phone as a duplicate within Dropbox @JGToll.

From what your storage shows, it may be that your photos were optimized before, while it seems now that they are stored locally.

This could've been so the photos could be uploaded to Dropbox, so can you try enabling the "Optimize Photos" setting (in your first screenshot) and see if this frees up some space on your phone?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JGToll
New member | Level 2

Daphne, that worked!  I went from 69GB of pics to 1.5.  Thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer
Glad to hear that @JGToll!

Once the other photos have been uploaded too, I'd suggest just checking this option once more too, to make sure that the remaining 500 photos weren't made local too.

If you have any other trouble with this, or have any other questions, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. 😀

Hope you have a great rest of your day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?