cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Camera Uploads not syncing in background when DB APP is off

Camera Uploads not syncing in background when DB APP is off

Dennis01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My photos don't continue to sync in the background with my computer when the App is off on my phone.  My understanding is that it is supposed to continue syncing while I am doing other things - it doesn't.  Can anyone tell me why?  I have triple checked the settings, but I could be missing something.

Thanks,

Dennis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dennis01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm still not sure exactly what the threshold distance is to activate background uploading, but I have tested and confirmed that it works as-advertised.  I drove to a local establishment today that was about 1/2 mile away and checked "camera uploads" on my PC when I got back.  The test photo I took last night had uploaded and was present.

Thanks,

Dennis

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello Dennis - how are you today?

I guess your desktop app is showing 'Up to date' (which means you're fully synced normally). Is that correct?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you let me know if you're using an Android device or an iPhone?

While we're at it, are you using the camera uploads feature or manually uploading your files from your mobile device via the (+) button within our mobile app?

If you’re using Camera Uploads to automatically upload photos from Camera Roll to Dropbox, you’ll need to turn on “Background Uploading.” This allows your photos and videos to continue uploading even if you don’t have the app open.

Spoiler
You can turn on Background Uploading following these steps: 
1. Open the Dropbox app.
2. Tap the "Home" tab.
3. Tap the gear icon.
4. Select “Camera Uploads.”
5. Toggle "Background Uploading" to "on." (Or, if it's already set to "on," toggle the setting off and then on again.)

I hope this information helps while I'll be waiting for your next response to troubleshoot further; if needed that is. 

Welcome to our Community btw @Dennis01!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Dennis01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply.  I’m using an iPhone Xr and uploading to a PC. Yes, my desktop Icon shows up to date except when it is loading a photo where I get a quick blue dot indicating an individual photo is loading.  As long as the app is “ON” I get one of these about every 7 to 10 seconds for photos.  When it is off the loading, (blue dot), stops and nothing happens.  Also, I am plugged into my desktop.

I’m pretty sure the app on the phone is set correctly to “Background Uploading”, but I’m no tech guy.  I’ve pasted a snip below.  Let me know if there’s something else I need to do.  Thanks!

Camera Uploading.jpgCamera Uploading.jpg

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the speedy response and screen-grabs Dennis!

Can you also send me a screenshot of your iCloud Photo settings?

You can find this by opening the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad, then tapping “iCloud,” and then “Photos.” (Note: These are settings for your device, not the Dropbox app.)

In addition, are you significantly changing locations when uploading via the camera uploads feature and the app is not in the foreground so as to keep the app active?

If you've plugged your phone into your computer, you could also import them using the desktop app. You might need to change the automatic camera uploads import preferences though as follows: 

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel.
• Select "Preferences".
• In the window that appears, click on "Change AutoPlay Settings".
• In the AutoPlay settings, scroll down and choose the mobile device you want to change settings for. It will likely have "Import pictures and video using Dropbox" as the default.
• Click on the drop-down menu and choose "Ask me every time" or choose a different application for importing (according to your needs). 

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Go into the Privacy settings on your phone and make sure Location Services is enabled and active for Dropbox. If it's not, Camera Uploads won't upload in the background. (Which ties into Walter's question about significantly changing locations, as that's the trigger for the background process.)

Dennis01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

1) iCloud photo settings

iCloud PHOTO settings.jpg

2) I have the phone plugged in and lying on my desk - not moving right now except to pick it up and look at it from time to time.  When you say significantly changing locations, what distances are we talking about?  

3) I'll  try what you suggested on the desktop app, but I was hoping to set this thing one time and forget it - thus the need for uploading in the background via wifi while doing other things around the office and/or home.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, Rich.  I looked up the process during set-up and that was one of the things I did at that time, so location services are set to "always" for this.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Dennis01 wrote:

When you say significantly changing locations, what distances are we talking about?

Apple only allows applications to remain active in the background for a few minutes. To get around that, Dropbox uses a change in your location as a trigger to wake up and get more background time. This is why Dropbox needs access to Location Services.

I don't know that there are any documented distances, but it's not as simple as moving the device a few feet. Typically it would involve changing actual locations. It's likely whatever distance iOS determines is significant enough to register a change in physical location, at which point it wakes up Dropbox.

Dennis01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for that information.  I've tested the "background" uploading via "moving" scenario by taking a photo and moving a short distance.  That didn't work, so that may not have been enough.  I'll take a couple more and change locations by larger distances to see what happens.  I'll let you know, and thanks again.

Dennis

Dennis01
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I just got your latest reply asking if the problem is solved.  Personally, I'd say yes.  However, I'm still testing a little.  I replied to Rich below that I'm testing movement and distance to see what the threshold's are.  I'll report back when I've finished testing, but I think we're on the right track.  Thanks!

Dennis

Need more support?