cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Uploads, the Dropbox app and clearing photos from an iphone

Camera Uploads, the Dropbox app and clearing photos from an iphone

Paul T.28
New member | Level 2

Something weird is happening. Good things, but confusing.

Here's the situation. My daughter's iphone is packed full. Too many photos. (too precious to delete - apparently) Her apple laptop won't let her sync because she has filled that with schoolwork and projects.

I told her I would try to connect her to my dropbox account. (it's large enough that she should be able to upload her photos to the Camera Uploads folder than move them to a sub-folder with her name - to keep them separate from mine)

She does *not* have the Dropbox app on her phone. (not enough space to load it!) All the online instructions I'm reading says she has to have it in order to sync her photos and get them into the Dropbox Camera Uploads folder.

But as we were checking her preferences on the phone and her laptop I suddenly saw 3000+ photos uploading to the Camera Uploads folder.

So without the Dropbox app or a direct connection to the laptop, Dropbox knows what we wanted to do and is uploading the files wirelessly.

How is this happening? Not that I don't approve, but I'd like to know how so I know more about how my account works.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Re: Camera Uploads, the Dropbox app and clearing photos from an iphone

Rich
Super User II

@Paul T.28 wrote:

So without the Dropbox app or a direct connection to the laptop, Dropbox knows what we wanted to do and is uploading the files wirelessly. How is this happening?

Either she has the Dropbox app on the phone, connected to your account, with Camera Uploads enabled, or you've connected the phone to a computer via a USB cable and allowed Dropbox to import photos. There's no other way for Dropbox to automatically upload photos from her phone.

Re: Camera Uploads, the Dropbox app and clearing photos from an iphone

Paul T.28
New member | Level 2

@Rich wrote:

@Paul T.28 wrote:

So without the Dropbox app or a direct connection to the laptop, Dropbox knows what we wanted to do and is uploading the files wirelessly. How is this happening?

Either she has the Dropbox app on the phone, connected to your account, with Camera Uploads enabled, or you've connected the phone to a computer via a USB cable and allowed Dropbox to import photos. There's no other way for Dropbox to automatically upload photos from her phone.

She connected the iPhone to her laptop, but only for a minute. We saw the files in the Dropbox folder after the fact. I thought the phone would have to be connected as the files were downloading. 3000+ files seemed too much to physically download that quickly. But they're there, so I guess that's all it took.

Thanks for the feedback.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?