cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera downloads creating two versions of each photo

Camera downloads creating two versions of each photo

Explorer | Level 4

At the moment, Camera Downloads is creating two versions of each photo I take on my iphone 11 Pro. The first is named eg. 2020-09-24 12.36.02.jpg and the second 2020-09-24 12.36.02-1.jpg. I'm not editing the files. The first one is also much larger than the second, typically 8mb as against 3mb; the dimensions of the first are 4032 x 3024 and the second 4032 x 2268.

As this is rapidly filling up my Dropbox, can anyone explain to me a) what is happening and b) how to fix it please?

Thanks....

5 Replies 5

Re: Camera downloads creating two versions of each photo

Dropboxer

Hey @Nigel Strudwick, I hope you're well today!

Are you perhaps taking these photos with a filter, like the portrait mode?

If there is a filter applied when taking the photo, during camera uploads both the original and edited version of the photo will be uploaded. You can check out more on this here.

This would explain the difference in the size of the photos that you see uploaded too.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks very much. A fair bit of digging around has shown that what I thought was a different format on the camera (16:9 vs 4:3), isn't apparently, but, as you say, the original remains as 4:3 and the other is just a crop. Disingenous of Apple to imply it's a different photo frame, and not just another edit/filter!

Presumably there is as yet no way of telling Dropbox just to download the original, is there?

Much appreciated! Nigel

Dropboxer

Hey there, Nigel; how are you today?

Your query seems to echo this discussion, thus, I'd suggest checking out the relevant idea and upvote it to show your interest in this.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I have an issue similar to Nigel's.

I have the iPhone Pro 11 Max with the "triple-camera" system. I often edit my photos in a third-party program (vsco) so I'm used to getting doubles uploaded to Dropbox's "camera uploads" - the original and the edited one. But now I'm getting three versions of the same photo -  two in this set of dimensions 2268 × 4032 (one unedited, and one edited) and a third in a different set of dimensions 3024 × 4032. (EDIT: those dimensions are for vertical layouts - horizontal layouts - 4032 × 3024 and 4032 × 2268.)

But interestingly enough, if I took the photo using Apple's portrait mode or burst mode, I don't get the photo uploaded in two different dimensions (meaning 3 photos total). It seems to only happen for the "regular" mode. Furthermore I don't crop my photos as suggested in this thread so I shouldn't be getting three versions. And I also should add that this is new - I didn't get these triplicates prior to mid-September (2020). Did something change with the recent iOS update? 

New member | Level 2

I just posted after Nigel's comment and read your response about it maybe being like this issue - https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Both-original-and-edited-photos-uploading-to-Dro...

I've known that the photos taken in portrait mode get uploaded twice - once with the "depth control" "filter" applied and once "unedited". This issue that Nigel and I have reported appears to be a separate issue - the photo dimensions are different. That's not happening with the portrait-mode doubling (which I've gotten used to but would appreciate a fix for, so I upvoted the feature request you linked to in the post, thank you!). 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?