cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera upload from different phones into different folders

Camera upload from different phones into different folders

Bjarne S.
New member | Level 1

Hello,
I have created a new folder "Camera upload Karla" where I want my wifes iPhone to automatically upload photos to.
This seems not to be so easy, as Dropbox on a phone will only upload to "Camera Upload" folder. Is this correct?
How can I make her iPhone upload automatically to the new folder?
Thank you

62 Replies 62

MVIN
Helpful | Level 5

Ok, I was not aware if it alowed to mention here but I use photosync, it is not perfect but it is easy to specify a specific folder to backup to. But I would much rather have it as a part of dropbox so i did not have to give a thirdparty app rights to move my pictures

alaut
Helpful | Level 6

I do not believe this is necessarily a new suggestion, or at least parts of what I would like to see improved in Dropbox I have seen asked many times on these forums before.

I understand that on all devices using dropbox with camera uploads enabled, all photos will be synched in path = \Dropbox\Camera Uploads\

Though I have never liked the location of this folder in the first place because it does not match my organization structure, I've lived with it and have when convenient been manually moving photos from within the Camera Uploads folder to other locations within my Dropbox.

I think that at first, it'd be nice if we could specify the path for which photos would be uploaded to dropbox respective of each device. Make it an advanced option and have the default set to "\Camera Uploads\" as it already is, but i have a lot of devices with varying camera quality (tablets, cellphones, etc.) that I use for different purpose that'd i'd like to keep separated by default.

Additionally a more advance feature that I'd really benefit from is if there could be a form of "conditional syncing" or something for which there could maybe be a set of optional rules that would dictate how photos are uploaded. These could be implemented as device specific options, cross platform, or something else. In my case I would like it if say I could implement profiles such that:

if (distance_between_photo_and_work(newfile)<1mile) or (network_is_work_wifi) or (during_work_hours):

path = '\Dropbox\Camera Uploads\Work\'

else:

if (isvideo(newfile)):

path = '\Dropbox\Camera Uploads\Videos\'

else:

path = '\Dropbox\Camera Uploads\Photos\'

upload(newFile,path)

This might be something I may try and work on my own end and periodically scan my camera uploads folder from my desktop and make adjustments, but it'd be nice to know if there already is a reasonable workaround for this or if for any reason why this feature can't or won't be implemented.

Will P.5
New member | Level 2

Simple really guys & gals if you are all using different devices. Photos only not videos. In the camera uploads folder on PC right click go to group by select more and tick camera model. This will split between different device models. It would be nice if Dropbox allowed the preservation of filenames as prefixes per device could then be set (with most 3rd party camera apps). Better still in enabling camera uploads on the device it added the device name as a tag.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Jason P.21 New member | Level 2
    Jeanne S.4 New member | Level 1
    Benjamin G.2 New member | Level 1
    Bernadette P. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?