cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL Camera Uploads (not just the new ones) are re-uploading

Camera uploads uploading multiple times

Allegra A.
Explorer | Level 4

My phone is set to auto upload photos to dropbox Camera Uploads when I have wifi.  I don't usually look at Camera Uploads online - I think of it as a backup. But sometimes I look, like maybe I'm going to redistribute some photos into smaller folders. And then I discover that some of the photos have uploaded multiple times. I can't figure out why it does this because it's not ALL the photos, just some. It will have the camera number (date/time) and then -01 on the duplicate photos. Or -01, -02. I've even seen -01-01. Like it reuploaded the photo from the phone, and then reuploaded the upload. It's crazy. Instead of 50 pictures from graduation, I have 100+.  It has been doing this for a while, and I've tried going in and deleting the duplicates, but that's crazy time-consuming, so I've ignored it for a while. But today I took a look, and it re-uploaded one photo SIX times.  But only ONE of the photos I took today (of many).  I thought maybe it re-uploads each time I move and log onto a new wifi? But then it would affect all the most recent photos.  I also thought maybe if I delete one photo on my phone, it makes all the other photos be out of sequence and dropbox thinks they're new and uploads again? But they have the same number (thus the -01 on the dupes). Can anyone explain this? And is there any way to make sure it only uploads once? I've looked around in settings with no luck.

14 Replies 14

Re: Camera uploads uploading multiple times

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Allegra A., thanks for posting your question to our Community! 

Can I ask about the OS and the Dropbox version you've installed on the device?

Also, could you please check to see if the sizes of the duplicates match those of the originals?

You will need to check the full image file size (in bytes).

One way to do this will be to perform a web search for an "EXIF data viewer" and view the EXIF data for both the original and duplicate files. This should show you the complete file size in bytes.

Keep me posted on what you find. 

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Allegra A.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lori,

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy A21s, but camera uploads was duplicating photos with my previous phone as well, a Samsung Galaxy J-something.  When I look at the dropbox app settings, I see it is Version 238.2.2 - is that what you mean?

I put two dupe photos into an EXIF analyzer and they are identical in size and everything. In fact the "image unique id" is also identical (not so unique). It seems when camera uploads looked into my phone looking for "new photos" to upload, it found files with the same name as a previous file, and instead of recognizing the original file as "not new," it uploaded it again, just adding -01 at the end. So weird.

Lori
Dropboxer

Thank you so much for all the details @Allegra A.

Very interesting case! 

Can I reach out to you via email, so we can have a closer look into this?

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Allegra A.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lori,

Yes, you can contact me by email but I'm traveling for the next few days (and have been out of touch for a few days) so it might take me a while to respond. Should be more settled later next week. Are you from Dropbox or the community? Do you have my email from my account? or should I post?

Allegra

Lori
Dropboxer
Happy Monday @Allegra A.

I sent you an email. 

Feel free to reply as soon as possible. 

Cheers!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

ALL Camera Uploads (not just the new ones) are re-uploading

aaronflores
Explorer | Level 4

So this is my the way I work with dropbox:

I have an iPhone.

I have limited dropbox space.

Camera Uploads will upload.

When they're uploaded, in my Mac I move them from the dropbox camera uploads to another non-dropbox folder.

When I take new photos, only new photos will be uploaded to camera uploads folder.

But since yesterday, the Dropbox app is UPLOADING AGAIN all of my photos… SINCE 2018!

Something definitely changed in the latest update.

DROPBOX VERSION 244.2

iPhone XR 14.6.

Re: ALL Camera Uploads (not just the new ones) are re-uploading

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi @aaronflores, I hope you're having a great day! 

When you move the files, do you move them into a folder outside of the Dropbox folder? 

Also, do you use the Dropbox app on your phone to upload content, or the Dropbox desktop application? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there. 

Lori
dropbox.com/support

aaronflores
Explorer | Level 4

outside of dropbox folder. 

aaronflores
Explorer | Level 4

Here is for example, the usual behavior before:

I would take photo 1 on my iPhone.

Photo 1 would be uploaded as camera upload.

I would move Photo 1 from my dropbox folder to outside dropbox folder. That will free space.

I would be able to take Photo 2 and 3.

Next time sync would happen, only Photo 2 and 3 will upload. Not Photo 1.

Now, this is the behavior:

I would take photo 1 on my iPhone.

Photo 1 would be uploaded as camera upload.

I would move Photo 1 from my dropbox folder to outside dropbox folder. That will free space.

I would be able to take Photo 2 and 3.

Next time sync would happen, ALL PHOTOS, 1, 2 and 3 will upload. Having to delete again Photo 1 because I already put it in my HD.

This is a mess.

Need more support?