cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Dropbox/Paper enable me to process .txt files on my iPhone?

Can Dropbox/Paper enable me to process .txt files on my iPhone?

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

In Windows 10, I use Notepad to create .txt files.  Can Dropbox/Paper enable me to sync these .txt files with my iPhone SE, and open and edit them and Save/Save As, and even create .txt files, using my iPhone SE?

If so, how, exactly?  If not, how else can I do this? 

I don't want to sync Word files or anything complicated, only .txt files, so I want a minimalist, lightweight solution, just like Notepad is on Windows.

I have a vague idea that an app called PlainText used to handle .txt files on iPhone, but that PlainText does not work on iOS 11.

[ Confusing new world to me, the iPhone, especially with no back button. ]

Any help woud be much appreciated, preferably in simple English, I know very little computer jargon.

Mike

11 Replies 11

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

That sounds like a usable solution, the extra bit of work does not sound bad.

Re "place a shortcut to it in the original location. ", how would I do that please?  The only shortcuts I have used so far are app icons on the Windows PC desktop?

Thanks again ,

Mike

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Rich - OK, your comment "Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like any other"  has helped me to understand how it all works.

So, in the Dropbox Folder, I am now creating a mini-folder-tree containing only the files that I want to access when I am "on the road", for access from my iPhone.  It may still be an option to have file shortcuts in their "proper locations"

In theory one could, I guess, move the whole Windows folder tree (Docoments/ Pictures/ Videos/ Music) into the Dropbox Folder.

But Dropbox offers the weird restricted option of paying nothing for up to 2GB storage or money for up to 1TB storage.  2GB handles a lot of .txt files and maybe a good number of Word files, but it is presumably intended to be useless for RAW or JPEG image files. 

So I am now investigating how to have (if possible?) a mirror image of my PC's Pictures folders tree in Google Photos, where storage of RAW and JPEG files is unlimited and free, albeit with some automatic adjustment of file sizes by Google Photos - but the size adjustment is very clever, as image quality appears to be maintained by some kind of Google magic.

I very much appreciate your help with this, and your further comments would be very welcome.  Somehow, totorials rarely seem to be talking about things that I want to do . . . .:slight_smile:

Mike

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mike160304 Collaborator | Level 9
    Rich Super User II
    theguy69 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?