cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I allow collaborator to edit but not allow them to delete files?

Can I allow collaborator to edit but not allow them to delete files?

KurlandDesign
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Can I allow a collaborator/consultant to edit file I share with them but prevent the file from being deleted in case they delte it on their Dropbox?

I tested sharing from my firm business account to my personal dropbox account and when I delte the file that was shared from my personal account the file is being deleted also from the business account folder.

Main problem is that my home PC doesn't have as much memory as the firm PC and I would like to remove projects after I am done working on them...but the deletion need to be only on one side.

Any help appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @KurlandDesign

Currently, any member of a shared folder that has edit rights have the ability to add, edit and delete files in it. You can find more info about member permissions in this article

However, if you want to make space on your hard drive but you don’t want to delete folders from your Dropbox account, you can selectively syncing those folders. By doing so, you remove them locally from your computer, but you continue to have access to them through the website or until you sync it back to your desktop app again. 

Don’t hesitate to give me a nudge if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @KurlandDesign

Currently, any member of a shared folder that has edit rights have the ability to add, edit and delete files in it. You can find more info about member permissions in this article

However, if you want to make space on your hard drive but you don’t want to delete folders from your Dropbox account, you can selectively syncing those folders. By doing so, you remove them locally from your computer, but you continue to have access to them through the website or until you sync it back to your desktop app again. 

Don’t hesitate to give me a nudge if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?