cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I choose multiple folders to sync?

Highlighted

Can I choose multiple folders to sync?

Explorer | Level 4

Why cannot Dropbox provide the function of choosing multiple folders to sync? such Desktop and Download folders? Syncplicity can do this well. Is there any possibility to put this function in the development plan?

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Can I choose multiple folders to sync?

Super User II

Dropbox do not release roadmaps I'm afraid, however, what they have said previously is that they've no intention of doing this. 

My personal opinion is to not expect it to appear.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Re: Can I choose multiple folders to sync?

Explorer | Level 4

How do you sync the system folders such as Desktop and Download?

Highlighted

How to sync system folders such as Desktop or Download?

Explorer | Level 4

Can anyone tell me how can I sync system folders such as Desktop or Download?

Highlighted

Re: How to sync system folders such as Desktop or Download?

Super User II

@jjwang1109 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how can I sync system folders such as Desktop or Download?

That's not a function of Dropbox. Dropbox only syncs the Dropbox folder and anything it contains. It's not capable of syncing other folders.

There are hacks and third-party methods of syncing folders outside of Dropbox, but they are not supported and quite often cause problems with syncing.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I really want to know why since the folders under My Document and Desktop are very important. Syncplicity can do this well, why Dropbox doesn't want to do this but do some unuseful features when raising the price.

Highlighted

Super User II

Beecause Dropbox wasn't designed to sync those folders. Instead, you should move your files into the Dropbox folder. If you need them on the Desktop, then create shortcuts to them in the Dropbox folder.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your reply, and how about the files under My Document?

BTW, I found that Google now also begin to back up the fils in other folders which we can choose, of course include Desktop and My Document

@Rich wrote:

Beecause Dropbox wasn't designed to sync those folders. Instead, you should move your files into the Dropbox folder. If you need them on the Desktop, then create shortcuts to them in the Dropbox folder.

Highlighted

Super User II

@jjwang1109 wrote:

BTW, I found that Google now also begin to back up the fils in other folders which we can choose, of course include Desktop and My Document

That makes sense since Google Backup and Sync is intended as a way to backup your files. Dropbox is not a backup service. It has some backup-like functionality, but it is not intended as a backup service so it doesn't have features that you would typically find in a backup service.

and how about the files under My Document?

As I said previously, move them to your Dropbox folder. There's no need to use the Documents folder. Just move everything to the Dropbox folder and work on your files from there. That's the intended use. As you work on your files in the Dropbox folder, they'll automatically sync any changes that are made.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks a lot and I totally understand what you said.

I just wonder why Dropbox doesn't want to provide sync other folders, especially it's expensive than others. I bought the service of Dropbox, Google Drive, Syncplicity some years but find me and my colleagues really need sync tools to sync Desktop and My Document. Move everything to Dropbox folders are not human nature, and really not convenient. Thanks anyway.

@Rich wrote:

@jjwang1109 wrote:

That makes sense since Google Backup and Sync is intended as a way to backup your files. Dropbox is not a backup service. It has some backup-like functionality, but it is not intended as a backup service so it doesn't have features that you would typically find in a backup service.

and how about the files under My Document?

As I said previously, move them to your Dropbox folder. There's no need to use the Documents folder. Just move everything to the Dropbox folder and work on your files from there. That's the intended use. As you work on your files in the Dropbox folder, they'll automatically sync any changes that are made.

What you said

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?