cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the colors of the folder icons?

Can I customize the icon for my Dropbox Folder on my Mac?

mevacor19
New member | Level 2

I like to customize the icons for my folders.  I can't seem to do that with the main Dropbox folder that looks like this: Dropbox folder iconDropbox folder icon

I see a large number of custom icons for Dropbox folders with a google search, so I assume there must be some way to customize the icon, but I haven't figured out.  I am running Mac OS 10.15.  Any suggestions?

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mevacor19, thanks for posting on the Community!

Currently, it isn’t possible to amend the icon for the Dropbox folder. We implemented a fix in a new version of the Dropbox desktop application that ensures consistent folder icons in the Dropbox folder.

This means that you may see that the ability to set custom folder icons has been removed

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ahmadkordia
Helpful | Level 5

Can i change folder icons colors?

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Ahmadkordia; welcome to our Community!

As your question seems related to this discussion, I moved your post under this thread. 

To cut things short, you won't be able to have custom folder icons for your Dropbox Folder or any folders within it, for as long as you're running the desktop app at least. 

If you were referring to the website, I'd suggest upvoting the relevant feature request to show your interest.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

sprasadit
New member | Level 2

I am unable to change my dropbox icon on MAC OS Catalina. My Dropbox version is 98.4.158 - Whatever icon i use it switches back to a plain folder icon - Do help

simonlanemusic
New member | Level 2

I'm also unable to change the icon.  Guess it's time to look for a cloud storage solution that doesn't mess with my desktop.

Meatleg
New member | Level 2

"This means that you may see that the ability to set custom folder icons has been removed"
Well put it back.  I want that ability and I can find other cloud services that don't try to think for me.

Thanks.

lugeo
New member | Level 2

The dropbox folder icons are just generic blue folder icons. Is there a way to use a picture within that folder as the icon display? I mostly use my dropbox to organize photos and it is not very friendly for customizing photo galleries. It would be nice to have a preview picture for folders so you know what is inside.

Is this yet possible?

Is this an optional upgrade?

Are there any options available to achieve this?

Rich
Super User II

@lugeo wrote:

The dropbox folder icons are just generic blue folder icons. Is there a way to use a picture within that folder as the icon display?

Dropbox has no such feature.

Need more support?