cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I delete my Dropbox account without losing my files?

Can I delete my Dropbox account without losing my files?

Duck31
Explorer | Level 3

I want out of Dropbox! How do I get out without losing my files? The website says that if you delete your account, your data will be gone forever. I am not great at the computer, so simple answers will work best! Thanks in advance for the help

2 Replies 2

Re: I want out!

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Duck31 wrote:

... The website says that if you delete your account, your data will be gone forever. ...

Hi @Duck31,

Yes, of course. When you are going to delete any account (not only Dropbox), its storage data will be gone together with the account itself. In the Dropbox context it's the same and "will be gone" is related only to the online storage. To be sure you won't loss any data, make sure there isn't active any Dropbox supplementary feature, that could prevent local data presence. For example if you have active "online only" for particular file, its content is NOT present locally and once your account is gone, particular file will be gone too! That's why make sure there is NOT active Smart Sync, Selective Sync, Backup, and so on features. If there is, turn them off and wait for the affected content to get in sync. Once there are no any more supplementary features on and everything is in sync, it's safe to wipe out your account. 😉 The data local copy will be on safe.

Have a nice day!

Re: I want out!

Duck31
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Duck31 Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?