cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I disable syncing while on mobile data tethering?

Can I disable syncing while on mobile data tethering?

Explorer | Level 3

I often use my laptop on wifi through a tethered iphone. This means I have VERY limited data.

I'd like to disable dropbox synching on this laptop - or at least have dropbox ask me BEFORE synching so I can avoid it burning through an entire months worth of data in 5 minutes.

I know I can pause synching - but this requires me REMEMBERing everytime before I use tehered wifi; occasionally I forget and there goes another months data...

thanks in advance,

LP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: disable synching?

Dropboxer

Hey there! 

Thanks for posting on our forum! 

It looks like the issue you're having, is that every time you connect your phone wifi with your laptop, syncing starts up automatically. 

This is because your laptop recognizes your phone just as a wifi connection, therefore Dropbox starts syncing. 

Your Dropbox desktop application settings currently work so that the application launches automatically whenever you start your computer. Therefore, everytime there is wifi connection, syncing starts automatically. This option is recommended in order to keep your Dropbox folder synced online and to other computers at all times. 

However, what you can do, is adjust these settings on your computer, in order for Dropbox to not automatically start. By doing this, your Dropbox will not start syncing automatically every time it gets connected to wifi. 

1. To do this, please click the Dropbox icon from your menu bar.

Dropobox-Tray-Mac-Synced.png

2. Then, click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.

More information on these settings (an more) can be found here: https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/166

At the moment, this is the currect work-around and solution available for such a case. 

I hope this information helps clarify! 

Best Regards, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer

Hey there! 

Thanks for posting on our forum! 

It looks like the issue you're having, is that every time you connect your phone wifi with your laptop, syncing starts up automatically. 

This is because your laptop recognizes your phone just as a wifi connection, therefore Dropbox starts syncing. 

Your Dropbox desktop application settings currently work so that the application launches automatically whenever you start your computer. Therefore, everytime there is wifi connection, syncing starts automatically. This option is recommended in order to keep your Dropbox folder synced online and to other computers at all times. 

However, what you can do, is adjust these settings on your computer, in order for Dropbox to not automatically start. By doing this, your Dropbox will not start syncing automatically every time it gets connected to wifi. 

1. To do this, please click the Dropbox icon from your menu bar.

Dropobox-Tray-Mac-Synced.png

2. Then, click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.

More information on these settings (an more) can be found here: https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/166

At the moment, this is the currect work-around and solution available for such a case. 

I hope this information helps clarify! 

Best Regards, 
Karina

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3
Thanks! I'll give this a try.

Dropboxer
Great! Just let me know how things work out!

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

New member | Level 2

What is the "Gear Icon" ? The icons I have are

Plus sign

Layers

Globe

File

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?