Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I edit a folder and have those changes reflect on another folder?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have copied and moved a folder into another folder.

My question is, is there a way where I can edit that folder and any changes I make will also edit the original folder?

I want to be able to make changes to the folder without having to make those same changes twice.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: DB Copying Folders

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @DBmember - welcome to our Community!

While I'm not sure why you'd like to do this, I think you can achieve this by using symlinks (on Mac or Linux machines) and junction points (on Windows devices).

That being said, we don't recommend those since junction Points, or "symlinks", occur when folders are added to Dropbox that reference directories outside of the Dropbox folder or inside of the Dropbox folder but in a different folder.

Since these symlinks can reference locations where Dropbox may have limited accessibility, they can (and most of the times, will) cause various issues such as high CPU usage, poor syncing performance, permissions issues (if this is in regards to shared folders for example) and quota usage disparities just to name a few. 

If you can elaborate a tad on your use-case and how you'd implement this in your workflow, I might be able to come up with something so please keep me in the loop. 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

ill try my best to explain myself.

So I have a master folder, within this master folder are a bunch of files.

I created a Frequent Master folder, which are some files I copied from the master folder that I use more often.

Now when I receive updates to these files I update the FREQUENT FOLDER, and then I have to go to the MASTER FOLDER and update it again. (Or delete and copy either or)

It would be very convenient if any changes I made to my frequent folder would also update my master folder simultaneously. 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

No, that's not possible with Dropbox. There is no such feature.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?