cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get my folders and files back if I update my plan to Dropbox Plus?

Can I get my folders and files back if I update my plan to Dropbox Plus?

a011
Explorer | Level 4

Good Morning,

I have a question, I had the dropbox folder on a computer, and in that dropbox folder I had more GB quantity than only the free 2GB plan, but even so at that time I could continue to put documents and files in the dropbox folder ; So my question is the following, if the free plan was only 2gb, it means that those documents and files that I put and updated were in the dropbox folder, they were like "ghost" files because it had already exceeded 2gb by far, right ? So, will I be able to recover the recently updated and created files and documents if I update my plan?

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Re: Can I get my folders and files back if I update my plan to Dropbox Plus?

Mark
Super User II

Hi @a011 

Not quite sure of your question... So....

Once you are at the capacity of your account on Dropbox.com syncing stops - ie no further uploads or changes will have sync'd to the Dropbox cloud. However, because your hard drive still has space it will continue to allow you to add things. 

If your hard drive is still working/fine if you upgrade to a bigger plan/get more space syncing will restart and things will update again. If, however, your hard drive has died and is no longer working then all that you can recover from Dropbox is what was uploaded before it hit he 2gb limit - after that Dropbox doesnt know it exists as syncing stopped. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

a011
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Mark,

Well, then I discovered the problem, almost a whole year modifying and creating files for nothing, I think it was a serious Dropbox error that it did not put a warning box to tell me that the files were not going to be synchronized, it is unfortunate .

In conclusion, i have 2 more little questions:

1. Even if I update the plan to dropbox plus, I will not get the recently modified files or the new ones?

2.) Those new files and folders that I create and modified recently I have on a computer that is bad in this moment, if I can repair it and turn it on and go to the dropbox folder, and if at that moment I update my plan to the dropbox plus plan, there are chances that dropbox could synchronize all that new and recently modified information?

Thanks.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @a011, the Dropbox desktop application and site would have a message saying that your account is overquota, stating that it wouldn't be able to sync any new changes to your account, and an error on the icon itself.

If you upgrade to Dropbox Plus, you'll get the extra quota and features for that plan. However, if there were any edits made prior to the upgrade, since the account wasn't syncing anything, you wouldn't be able to recover them from Dropbox.

Regarding the other computer, this might vary depending on the version of the app itself. If you have different data in different computers, the wrong information could be synced, so you might lose out on the newer data.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

a011
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for answering,

Yes Jay, if I get to repair the other computer I will be able to enter the dropbox folder, but my question is the following, at that moment if I get to activate the dropbox plus plan from that computer, I will be able to automatically recover those files and documents recently modified and newly created? Because from that folder are the files that have not been synchronized, but is there any way to press a button that says "synchronize"?  and so those files and documents recently modified and newly created will be recovered?

Thanks.

Jay
Dropboxer
I'm not sure what you're trying to recover, what exactly is missing?

When you say recently modified and created, where are they created originally, the old or new computer?

Were those files ever uploaded to the site? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @a011 

Same as @Jay I'm not 100% sure what you mean. 

think what you mean is if you can get that computer fixed which didnt sync to Dropbox and connect it to Dropbox with a paid account will it sync the files that are not on Dropbox now? If that is what you mean YES it will - but only if the harddrive and Dropbox folder is intact. It wouldnt if the drive was wiped for example. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

a011
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay answer,

I'll try to explain it better, tell me if you understand me

Those files modified in the previous month of May and those created in that month were created on the old computer, and on that computer even though it had already exceeded the dropbox limit, I could still add new files and modify them, then the the question is: If I fix the old computer and if I enter the dropbox folder, I know that the files will be there as I left them, but obviously those files were not synchronized to dropbox online because it had already exceeded the GB and because I went to the dropbox online and the files are not there, so I wanted to know if when I pay for a new dropbox plan while on the old computer, will the recent files and documents be synchronized? I ask because in that old computer is everything and how I left it

And I say that because obviously in the dropbox online I do not see the new documents and files or the recent modifications, because they did not sync, so the only way I can recover them is to repair the old computer and from the old computer pay the new dropbox plan because on that computer I have the files new and modifications in the dropbox folder, i don´t now if you understand me now, hope yes!

Thanks for answering.

Rich
Super User II

@a011 wrote:

... when I pay for a new dropbox plan while on the old computer, will the recent files and documents be synchronized?

If you get the old computer back and it's operational, if you subscribe to a paid plan Dropbox should start to sync again, and it should sync any changes in your local Dropbox folder to your account online.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    a011 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?