cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Paper icon

db-bill
New member | Level 2

I originally posted this in Stable Build 33.4.23. Super User II Mark suggested I post it here, too.

I am extremeliy disappointed that the Open Dropbox folder "button" in Dropbox Mac 33.4.23 menu has been replaced by Open Dropbox Paper.

I click on the Open Drobpx folder "button" many, many times a day. Not only is it long-established muscle memory to aim to the left of the Dropbox menu. I also experience less wrist stress when using a mouse to access a target on the left side of the Dropbox menu versus the right.

It would have been better if the Open Drobpx.com "button" had been displaced to the right of the Drobpox menu. I access Open Dropbox.com maybe once or twice a week. Whereas, as I said, I use the Open Dropbox folder "button" many, many times daily.

I understand the desire to promote Dropbox Paper. But now, every time I see that icon in the Drobpox menu where I expect Open Dropbox folder to be and have to abruptly shift my mouse motion, I get annnoyed. Not a good way to build positive feelings for Dropbox Paper.

large.png

Ed
Dropboxer

Hey @db-bill, all,

Totally get it and I can relate to that as I see myself clicking on the Paper icon by mistake several times =/

From initial conversations with our internal teams, I don't think this is changing anytime soon, but I also believe this is not a definitive 'place' for Paper as we're still working on a lot of things that related to Dropbox Paper and how to get it better integrated with your Dropbox experience. 

Anyway - this thread is being followed by more people here and I'll make sure one of us will post an update (if / as soon as) we have news on it.

Thanks again

Ed

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich M.5
Helpful | Level 5

Please take the initial conversations further. This is simply bad interface design. You're starting a new project that you still haven't figured out how to integrate into the Dropbox experience, but have decided that a good way to go about it is to inflict inconvenience on all your loyal users to date. Look at how your users actually use that Dropdown. (I assume you're able to track that.) Yeah, at some point it will click in my brain, but it hasn't yet, and it creates a moment of annoyance with Dropbox every time. Thanks for listening.

Ed
Dropboxer

yep, thanks for sharing that @Rich M.5 - again, I'll let you (all) know as soon as I hear more on this topic.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Demonstrable
New member | Level 2

I too would appreciate being able to hide the Dropbox Paper icon from the dropdown menu.

While I appreciate that software types feel the need to constantly add features, I will simply never have a use for Dropbox Paper, and so would appreciate the ability to 'turn it off' for my account.

It would be pleasantly surprising if Dropbox were to allow its users to choose to add these bells and whistles to their workflow, rather than simply imposing them on us.

Just an idea.

D

Rich M.5
Helpful | Level 5

I just want to note that three months have gone by, we're at verson 40.3.44, and this particular interface change continues to be aggravating multiple times every single day.

segv11
New member | Level 2

Two words: tamper monkey.

Or you could do what have done, and changed my Dropbox bookmark to https://dropbox.com/home instead of https://dropbox.com, so that I go straight to my files.  When I want paper (I do use it occasionally, it's kinda neat) then I navigate there.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?