cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I make Smart Sync mark files automatically online sooner?

Helpful | Level 6

I have a notification that says I'm running out of disc space so I should investigate using Smart Sync to move files I don't use often to the cloud, and only download when I need them. I have it turned on, but so far, no files have been automatically "Smart Sync"ed - they are all still local.

What criteria does Smart Sync use to determine which files to automatically move to online only, and when does it decide to move files to online only? Is it purely on the last modification time or last access time? (I'm on Win10)

Is there a way of changing any of these settings to make Smart Sync more aggressive in its automatic operation to trigger it sooner?

(I am aware I can do this manually, but here I'm looking for an automatic solution if at all possible)

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Can I make Smart Sync mark files automatically online sooner?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Graeme T.1, thanks for messaging the Community!

Generally, if you’re referring to the option to save space automatically, then this would vary based on the last modification date of the file, and from the time that option was enabled in the desktop app.

Currently, there isn’t a way to change this to make it sooner, aside from manually changing the option as you’re aware.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Is there a chance this might appear in a future release? Say, auto-sync everything with last modification time at "1 year"/"6 months"/"3 months ago"?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

We don't have an information on what could be on the roadmap for future development to the app.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?