cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I make my local files overwrite my Dropbox, rather than the other way round?

Highlighted

Can I make my local files overwrite my Dropbox, rather than the other way round?

Explorer | Level 4

Silly me, I spent hours re-organizing my photos and deleting images. 

(I have thousands.)
But I did it in the local folders on my PC, thinking those changes would overwrite what's in my Dropbox. 

Is there a way to make the changes to my local files overwrite my Dropbox, rather than the other way round? 

If not, how do I delete the file in my Dropbox without deleting anything in the local files? (So that I can re-upload.)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can I make my local files overwrite my Dropbox, rather than the other way round?

Dropboxer

I see, thanks for that @Tyghe!

Was the backup for the Pictures folder disabled at any point?

If you navigate to the backup settings through the desktop app preferences, do you see the option "Manage backup" or "Set up"?

If you see "Manage backup", when you click on this button does the Pictures folder still appear as selected?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Can I make my local files overwrite my Dropbox, rather than the other way round?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Tyghe, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Can you just clarify for me if you have the desktop app running on your computer at the moment? Did you perhaps pause syncing while you were taking these actions?

The desktop app will sync any changes that you make either in your account online, or in the local Dropbox folder.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

OK, this may be a duplicate response. I thought I just replied, but am not seeing that message now. 
The app is definitely running and I am fairly certain I didn't pause it. 
I do think it was set to "online only", and I changed it to "local" last night. 
I made the changes more than 24 hours ago, and though the Dropbox app says "up to date" the changes I made on my PC aren't reflected in the folders in Dropbox. 

(I did make a change to a document and added a document, and that *has* synced up, but the photos folder has not.)

Adding a screenshot. 

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for that @Tyghe!

Since you're using computer backup, can you let me know if you made these changes in the Pictures folder within "Dropbox > My PC > Pictures", or within the actual Pictures folder on your computer?

Also, do you still see the changes that you made to the folder when you check through the File Explorer?

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I made the changes on my computer, and am still seeing the changes there. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Could you open the Dropbox app and the local folder in the File Explorer and show them side by side and send over a screenshot of this (excluding any personal info)?

The visual of where you see the discrepancy would be very helpful with this @Tyghe.

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Here are the screenshots. 

screenshot pictures dropbox.pngscreenshot pictures local.png

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Also, when I download an image, I get this message... 

screenshot download dropbox.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I see, thanks for that @Tyghe!

Was the backup for the Pictures folder disabled at any point?

If you navigate to the backup settings through the desktop app preferences, do you see the option "Manage backup" or "Set up"?

If you see "Manage backup", when you click on this button does the Pictures folder still appear as selected?

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Aha!
For some reason, the Pictures folder was unchecked in the backup. 
I've checked it now, and things are syncing. 

...aaaand it's added everything back to my PC, undoing the changes I made. 
Which is annoying but not tragic. At least nothing was lost. And *now* things are in sync so I can avoid this problem in the future. 

Thank you for your patience helping me figure this out. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?