cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I open and edit .pages files via the Dropbox app on my iPad Air 2?

Can I open and edit .pages files via the Dropbox app on my iPad Air 2?

iyiyi
Explorer | Level 3

Hi guys. I have dropbox installed on my ipad air 2. I would like to be able to edit a "pages" file on my ipad and have it automatically sync with my dropbox online and on my macbook. 

However, I can't find anyway to open a file in pages from dropbox on my ipad, or download and open.

Does anybody know how I can do this? Thanks

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @iyiyi, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you forward a screenshot showing exactly what options you get when attempting to open the file in the Dropbox app, and what you see if you try to open the file?

Are you able to access Dropbox directly from the Pages app to see if you’re able to view the Dropbox structure using the iOS Files app?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

iyiyi
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. Basically to rephrase the question, on my macbook, I have a dropbox folder and any files edited and saved there, automatically save to my dropbox. Is there a way to do this on an ipad? It's not something I can really post of a photo of 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you’re not getting the option to edit the file via the mobile app, which should then open Numbers, then it isn’t possible.

Have you tried the steps I previously mentioned to open Numbers directly and access Dropbox from there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

iyiyi
Explorer | Level 3

If that's true it's very disapointing. I pay for a dropbox membership so that I can use it across platforms. I assumed a lot of people used dropbox files on their ipads to sync with their macbooks

Boboda
Explorer | Level 3

I agree completely. On my IOS devices (iPhone & iPad) I am not able to edit a "Pages" file that is stored in Dropbox. I can can only work around this iconvenience by editing it in the Pages ap but that's an annoying added step. It can be edited directly on my OS devices (iMac and Macbook Pro). I realize IOS & OS are two different operating systems but both are exclusive Apple communication software programs. Can't this be fixed or is it user error? What am I missing?

Mike Gauvin
New member | Level 2

Yah I don't get it either ... There should be a button to click and open the *.pages document directly in Pages.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Mike Gauvin, the Dropbox mobile app doesn't support direct editing of Pages, Numbers and Keynote files via the app itself at this time.

As these files are package files, generally they can't be edited directly by the mobile app, and need to be accessed by either exporting the file to the other app, or opened in that app using the iOS Files interface.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Kiriako
New member | Level 2
Yes you can.
Using the files app on your iPad, you can navigate to your Dropbox files and open/edit/save them with pages, numbers, keynote etc.

Skunee
New member | Level 2

This worked!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Skunee New member | Level 2
    Kiriako New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Mike Gauvin New member | Level 2
    Boboda Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?