cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I password protect a showcase?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am interested in sharing a showcase with the extra privacy of requiring a password to view it, like an individual file. Is this possible? Also, can I allow downloading for one of the files in a Showcase, but restrict downloading for the others?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can I password protect a showcase?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @htvdb!

Currently, password protecting a Showcase isn’t an option - although I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration on this. 

Do bear in mind though that even though anyone with the link to the Showcase can view it, you can set it so that only people you invite can access it. This option is available in the sharing settings. 

As per downloading content, viewers of the Showcase can download content, or you can disable it. To download all of the files in a showcase at once as a viewer or as the owner, click the Download icon (downward facing arrow) in the upper right of the showcase. 

Viewers can download an individual file from a Showcase:
  1. Open a Showcase.
  2. Hover over the file you’d like to download.
  3. Click the Download icon (downward facing arrow) that appears.
  4. Click Download.
As the owner, you can disable downloads on a Showcase:
  1. Open a showcase.
  2. Click Share in the upper right corner.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Uncheck Allow downloads under Allow viewers to download?
You can find more info on sharing your Showcase here

I hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @htvdb!

Currently, password protecting a Showcase isn’t an option - although I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration on this. 

Do bear in mind though that even though anyone with the link to the Showcase can view it, you can set it so that only people you invite can access it. This option is available in the sharing settings. 

As per downloading content, viewers of the Showcase can download content, or you can disable it. To download all of the files in a showcase at once as a viewer or as the owner, click the Download icon (downward facing arrow) in the upper right of the showcase. 

Viewers can download an individual file from a Showcase:
  1. Open a Showcase.
  2. Hover over the file you’d like to download.
  3. Click the Download icon (downward facing arrow) that appears.
  4. Click Download.
As the owner, you can disable downloads on a Showcase:
  1. Open a showcase.
  2. Click Share in the upper right corner.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Uncheck Allow downloads under Allow viewers to download?
You can find more info on sharing your Showcase here

I hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

it took me a few seconds to download an image from my showcase with "inspect element" in the browser. So to those who need to be 100% sure for any particular reason, watermarks are still the only way to go  

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I need this also. I don't know why password protection is missing. If you already have a liimt access with invite, why not do a password protection like folders?

I need to share this with 200+ plp but I can't let this to go anyone in the world, and I can't do 200+ invites

BR

/JL

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This IS A HUGE LET DOWN! why is there no password for Showcases????  I purchased 3T plan for a state non-profit assosiation with the impression I would have much more control! For users like me, who are new to the dropbox platform, ALL the language gives the impression EVERYTHING can be password protected without invite limits!

What a waist of $200 and days of my life building a useless library of showcases on DROPBOX! 

@JL12 wrote:

I need this also. I don't know why password protection is missing. If you already have a liimt access with invite, why not do a password protection like folders?

I need to share this with 200+ plp but I can't let this to go anyone in the world, and I can't do 200+ invites

BR

/JL

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This IS A HUGE LET DOWN! Why wouldnt there be password protection option for Showcases???? That should be a STANDARD option!  I purchased 3T plan for a state non-profit assosiation with the impression I would have ongoing control and privacy. For users like me, who are new to the dropbox platform, ALL the language gives the impression EVERYTHING can be password protected without invite limits! What a waist of $200 and days of my life building a useless library of showcases on DROPBOX.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?