cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I restore files I permanently deleted from the site?

Explorer | Level 4

So I didn't realize dropbox was syncing with my computer.  Dropbox uploaded all my files so not knowing they were synced, I deleted the files from dropbox because it was full.  I did a permanent delete function because I wanted to make sure there was room in the dropbox.  Unknown to me, since they were synced, I was deleting these files off of my computer.  Is there any way to recover my files with rewind since I did the permanent delete function?  I've lost valuable work that I need to recover.  HELP!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Deleted Files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Shelly4, thanks for posting today.

When files are deleted from your account, the quota is freed up immediately, so there isn't any need to permanently delete them.

Unfortunately, once files are permanently deleted via the Dropbox site, it wouldn't be possible to recover the files using any method. Only if they were deleted normally would this be possible, and even the support team would be unable to assist.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If there's any other information you require, please let me know.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Shelly4, thanks for posting today.

When files are deleted from your account, the quota is freed up immediately, so there isn't any need to permanently delete them.

Unfortunately, once files are permanently deleted via the Dropbox site, it wouldn't be possible to recover the files using any method. Only if they were deleted normally would this be possible, and even the support team would be unable to assist.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If there's any other information you require, please let me know.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@Jay, thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  Your information was helpful and greatly appreciated.  As I am disappointed that I can't recover permanently deleted files from dropbox, it's a lesson learned that won't cost me anymore trying to recover files that are gone.  Have a blessed day!

Shelly4

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I wish I could be of more help on this matter, @Shelly4.

Just so you know, it might still be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so. While it isn't guaranteed, it's worth a try.

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

this happened to me, no warning, i have used drop box forever for one portion of my files, and not my documents on my c drive, when i reinstalled, i used wrong email, it started uploading my files and then  i deleted the account to use the right one and then my c drive was empty

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I checked for a back up and my recycle bin.  Nothing there of value.  Are you able to recommend any third parties?  I lost all the digital scrapbooks I had worked on but had not yet printed.  About 13 of them.

Highlighted

Re: Can I restore files I permanently deleted from the site?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This happened to me as well. A lot of valuable files, days of productivity, lost. Very frustrating. Dropbox, can you warn users when they first try to delete files from Desktop/Documents/Downloads that these will be deleted from their computer as well? That was inconceivable to me.

Highlighted

Re: Can I restore files I permanently deleted from the site?

Explorer | Level 3

i am getting nowhere wiht drop box or the software i downloaded from stellar and easeus.  just the run around.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks for your updates here!

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with this. I'd just like to offer a few suggestions to see if anything helps out.

If you didn't permanently delete the files, you can out the steps outlined here. If the files were uploaded to Dropbox, then you can restore the deleted files from there.

Otherwise, if you deleted the files from the Dropbox folder on your computer, you can check in your recycling bin/trash to see if you can locate and restore the files from there.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

How can you recover these files if they were normally deleted?

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?