cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I retrieve the message I sent along with a DropBox link?

Can I retrieve the message I sent along with a DropBox link?

KrapacsAA
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I recently sent a link to a DropBox file through the DropBox system. I need to retrieve the message that I sent when I filled in all the fields and sent the link. Is there a way to do that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

No, that's not possible. Dropbox does not retain messages that are sent with share links or shared folder invitations.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

No, that's not possible. Dropbox does not retain messages that are sent with share links or shared folder invitations.

Steve83
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The ability to retrieve or at least view the note text after it's sent is something that should be available.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this @Steve83!

Why not post it on our 'Share an Idea' section so other similar-minded users can find and upvote it too to show their interest? 

Here's a direct link for that section if you'd like to log a feature request: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Share-an-idea/ct-p/101002000

Remember, the more specific and actionable the feedback is, the more we'll be able to get our hands on it. 

Welcome to our Community! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mtorbert
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox needs to understand the importance of retaining these messages. 

Example: I sent a link to a customer to download a file

Customer states they never recieved link. 

I would look up my dropbox messages to prove that I did infact send a link. 

Customer can not say that I never sent a link. 

Customer says I am delaying a project now, and responsible for thousands of dollars in delay fees. All because I couldn't prove that I sent them a link through dropbox. 

Maybe I should choose another service that offers this feature. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Send the link using your own email client and it resolves that issue.

evanpropst
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox needs to warn people before writing the message during link sending that the message will not be kept on record.  It is quite a stupid concept that it would not retain a message.

Sameolds2010
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Absolutely ridiculous - how its not possible to view what youve sent.

Its set me backwith my client and my employer who have no record of the plans ive sent and justification for hours spent on the task respectively.

If i cant get a fair reason why this fucntion isnt available im cancelling the account; im sure the administrator has some ability to retrieve it.

Total BS.

Jimwilks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Totally agree.  I just sent an email and link via DB and then I needed to check and make sure that I included an important detail.  It's absolutely ridiculous that the messages aren't retained. It's a basic concept where IT SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO ADDRESS AN ISSUE THAT SHOULDN'T NEED A FIX IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Just another example of corporate ignorance and plain stupidity in being completely out of touch with how reality works.

Jimwilks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

"Why not post it on our 'Share an Idea' section so other similar-minded users can find and upvote it too to show their interest"?  This is an ignorant suggestion, plain and simple.  Basic record keeping. WOW.  What a unique concept!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Jimwilks Helpful | Level 5
    Sameolds2010 New member | Level 2
    evanpropst New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?