cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I rotate my photos with Dropbox?

Can I rotate my photos with Dropbox?

New member | Level 1

How do I rotate my photos once they are uploaded to Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rotate photos

Super User II

Hard to picture such a simple concept should evade this organization.

Because, unfortunately, Dave C hit the nail on the head. Dropbox is a syncing tool. It isnt an editing tool. 

Is there any way to rotate photos in dropbox files?

No.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

How do you rotate a photo in Dropbox?

New member | Level 1

I know right click on mouse gives options to rotate clockwise or anticlockwise but this does not 'save'. I have tried rotating image before bringing into Dropbox but that doesn't seem to work either. Several other users are asking the same question.

Re: How do you rotate a photo in Dropbox?

Super User alumni

You can't, Dropbox doesn't have this feature - the right click is your browser doing the work.

You need an application which actually rotates the image rather than simply sets the EXIF rotation data, which many things do not support.

New member | Level 1

You dont, DB just stores pictures, you have to rotate them on your device and upload them again.

New member | Level 1
  1. Surprising, and disappointing, that Dropbox doesn't offer a photo rotation tool. Other cloud sharing applications do.
  2. Rotating photos on your desktop or device won't necessarily preserve the correct rotation for photos you upload to Dropbox, unless the application you use rewrites the EXIM data in the photo, and saves the rotated version as a new copy.
  3. After rotating, look for a SAVE function in your application that will save the correctly rotated version of the photo as a new copy, and then upload THAT copy, instead of the incorrectly rotated original.
  4. This can be very frustrating, because we just assume that if we ROTATE the photo and it looks correct, that the new rotation is automatically saved. This often does not happen. Photo-editing applications ought to provide more explicit instructions about this.

New member | Level 1

Photo rotation is file editing, Db do not offer any file editing tools at all, I would expect them to stick to what they do well SYNC.

New member | Level 1

I have a Galaxy S6 and I just went into settings and turned off "Screen rotation" before taking the photos. This seems to have solved the problem of my photos uploading sideways.

New member | Level 1

Hard to picture such a simple concept should evade this organization. Daniel A is most complete in the maybe not always solution.

New member | Level 2

To Richard P.,  Can you cite examples of applications that actually rotate the image rather than just setting the EXIF rotation data?  Any freeware?

New member | Level 1

Please can dropbox add this to carousel? This is taking too much time this way

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?