cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: History of messages

Can I see the history of messages sent when I shared files or folders?

BrigidI
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there any way to get the history of messages that were sent from Dropbox?  I want to revert to previous emails for information.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see now @BrigidI - thanks for the clarification!

These messages are not retrievable from your own end at the moment; I´ll pass your comments along to the team for their consideration.

In the meantime, you could ask the people you shared those files or folders with to forward you the email(s) they received when you first shared the files/folders in question with them to have a view of the messages you sent when sharing your files (or folders) in the first place.

I know it's not much, yet I hope it helps to some extent. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @BrigidI - why don't you try the search function on your email directly? This should help you find any email you've received from us in the past. (I'd also check the spam folder in case your email service provided is blocking some of our domains)

Should you need anything else please let me know!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

BrigidI
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry for the confusion.  I meant is there any way to access previous emails I sent via dropbox.  As it stands, if I send a file/document to someone via dropbox, I can't go back to that email to review what I previously sent.

BrigidI
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry for the confusion.  I meant is there any way to access previous emails I sent via dropbox.  As it stands, if I send a file/document to someone via dropbox, I can't go back to that email to review what I previously sent.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I am sorry if I'm being blunt here @BrigidI - how are you sharing those files to begin with?

Were you attaching them in an email, using a shared link or just adding people to shared folders?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

BrigidI
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am sharing the folder/file and would normally write information for the recipient.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see now @BrigidI - thanks for the clarification!

These messages are not retrievable from your own end at the moment; I´ll pass your comments along to the team for their consideration.

In the meantime, you could ask the people you shared those files or folders with to forward you the email(s) they received when you first shared the files/folders in question with them to have a view of the messages you sent when sharing your files (or folders) in the first place.

I know it's not much, yet I hope it helps to some extent. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

zyx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I see that this subject came up nearly 2 years ago. Well, it seems Dropbox still hasn't seen fit to add this functionality for users. It's really unfortunate. At the very least there should be 

1) A warning that your message will not be available for later viewing

2) An option to "send a me a copy". This is a basic function available in many apps.

OR 

3) A way to save and retrieve messages sent through Dropbox.

Lisa

Beemover
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hello Walter,
I have also thought for some time that I must just be missing something . I couldn't believe that an application for buddies to businesses wouldn't have the ability to retrieve communications sent, other than to ask the recipient to 'please send me a copy of what I sent you' . Doesn't make me sound very professional.

whydoineedtosignin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Walter, this isn't a solution it's a manual workaround. A solution is for dropbox to add a history of sent links/messages. This is an e-communications 101 sort of issue, as others have mentioned. What dropbox users want is verification from the providers (dropbox) that a message was sent. I don't want to bother clients to ask if they received it. Do you send follow up emails after sending emails to see if the previous email was received? And then send another email to see if they received the follow up email? No, you check your 'sent' directory and see the message was sent or not sent. This is a how dropbox users can protect themselves and be sure there is a record of sent communication. It would be great if dropbox worked on this instead of the myriad of other useless features you so enthusiastically roll out. 

Need more support?