cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files viewed

Can I see who has viewed files on my account?

Highdiver
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I would like to be able to see who has viewed files. No specific instructions other than --Folders----Event Log. I do not see 'Event Log' anywhere. I vaguely recall stumbling across it by accident several months ago.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Highdiver, if you may allow me just a shot in the dark, I’d like to ask you if you had upgraded your account in the past, as your description matches the Viewer info feature for shared files, which is available for Professional & Business Advanced/ Education & Enterprise users. 

Please keep me updated on how this hint works for you in your next message & I’ll do my best to check back with you on this discussion. Thanks! 

Mod note: edited to update link in post. [last updated 2022]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
www.dropbox.com/events is the Events Log,

However, that information is not stored.

Dropbox does not report on viewing files.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highdiver
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am rather confident that I was able to see who had viewed files...a few months ago. Maybe it had something to do with 'Comments'?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox has never had the ability to show who has viewed a file. There is the ability to leave a comment on a file, which would obviously indicate that they have viewed it (you have to view to be able to comment), but that is not a valid indicator of everyone that may have viewed the file.

That information is simply not available.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Highdiver, if you may allow me just a shot in the dark, I’d like to ask you if you had upgraded your account in the past, as your description matches the Viewer info feature for shared files, which is available for Professional & Business Advanced/ Education & Enterprise users. 

Please keep me updated on how this hint works for you in your next message & I’ll do my best to check back with you on this discussion. Thanks! 

Mod note: edited to update link in post. [last updated 2022]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

DaveK50
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's a terrible shame that this solution won't work for Dropbox Plus Personal. It doesn't seem like a special feature that should be restricted to the more expensive platforms. It's really rather basic and a very reasonable expectation. I have been a Dropbox customer for many years, but there are a growing number of attractive alternatives.

Dave

dchalloner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am certain I was able to see who viewed a drop box file I shared.  Why is this feature gone.  When it comes to sharing files for contract purposes, a log of who has viewed a file and when they viewed it is most helpful, especially when someone decides to claim in the 11th hour of due diligence, they suddenly can't access files you shared with them months ago.  It is a total money grab to require uses to upgrade their drop box in order to view who has viewed a drop box file.  Very disappointing this important feature vanished.

teamyell
New member | Level 2

I want help on knowing how people are looking at my files and folders (account Activity & Events)

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @teamyell, thanks for joining our Community!

Are you referring to files you've shared with other people?

If so, you can access certain info, depending on your Dropbox plan, using our viewer info feature.

You can read more about this here.

The events page will show you all events that happened in your account, which include files/folders added/edited/deleted.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?