cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I share photos in a way that the recipient can only view them and not download?

Can I share photos in a way that the recipient can only view them and not download?

davidlpittmanjr
New member | Level 2

I am a Photographer.

I was wondering if dropbox has a feature wherein I can share photos with my clients that will allow them to view the photos but not download or screenshot them UNLESS I give them the permission to do so.  Does dropbox have such a feature?  If yes, what is the feature and which package is it in?  

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @davidlpittmanjr, I hope you're well today!

You can use shared links to allow view only permissions to the content you choose to share.

If you have an account with a Professional or Business subscription, you can also disable downloads for the shared link too.

This wouldn't prevent them from being able to take screenshots of the previews though I'm afraid.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

davidlpittmanjr
New member | Level 2
Daphne,

Thanks million for your response. You're absolutely correct. I opened a business account/subscription under my business name. I quickly found the features you cited in your answer.

Thanks for your time in responding!!!

Rich
Super User II

This wouldn't prevent them from being able to take screenshots of the previews though I'm afraid.

@davidlpittmanjr 

Not only that, but you can easily download the photo preview (not the original, by the way Dropbox works), even with downloads disabled. It only takes a couple of seconds to bypass it.

Remember, the Internet works by your browser downloading everything. If you can see it online, you can download it. Any options that say otherwise are simply security through obscurity.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    davidlpittmanjr New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?