cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I sync and stream my Dropbox files on a TV?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

In our office we have a TV that plays a slideshow of properties we own. Our TV is not a smart TV but it does have a USB port in which we use a thumb drive to load our photos onto. We're continuously adding new properties to our inventory and its hard to keep up with updating this thumb drive. Is it possible to add our dropbox folder to the thumb drive so that when we add new photos to our dropbox from our computer it will update the slideshow that plays on our TV from the thumb drive?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: TV Slideshow Sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, it wouldn’t be possible for the Dropbox folder to be stored on the USB drive, since it is a portable storage device.

There might be a third party app however that can copy files periodically from your Dropbox account into the USB drive whenever that is connected to the computer. Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to provide any advice on such apps.

Hopefully this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: TV Slideshow Sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, it wouldn’t be possible for the Dropbox folder to be stored on the USB drive, since it is a portable storage device.

There might be a third party app however that can copy files periodically from your Dropbox account into the USB drive whenever that is connected to the computer. Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to provide any advice on such apps.

Hopefully this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

streaming photos to TV directly

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, is there any way to have photos streamed directly from dropbox to apple TV/chromecast/Vizio SmartCast?  Don't want to manually have to mirror and think there is some degradation of quality that way...photos are hi res and i'm keeping them on dropbox to save space on my laptop.... but now in-laws want to see photos of the grandkids!

Thanks for any advice you have !

Highlighted

Re: streaming photos to TV directly

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @flbrodie !

The first thought that came to my mind was that you could preview the photos in question on your Apple TV by syncing them on your computer first or (if you can) by navigating to a web browser through it. However, since you mention:

@flbrodie wrote:

Don't want to manually have to mirror

I’d kindly recommend looking around the web for a third party app that could help with this. I’ll also leave this thread open for any other users that may have any other ideas on the matter. 

In any case, let me know of any updates! 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?