cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I sync folders outside the Dropbox Folder?

Explorer | Level 4

So how do I upload a large folder which I have located on another drive when there is no more space on the drive where the dropbox-map sits?

Thanks

Dropboxer

Hi @stefanpotiau, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

If you don't have enough space on the drive where the Dropbox folder is, you can use selective sync to free up some storage. 

Once you do that, you can then add the folder either through the desktop app, your Finder/File Explorer, or the website. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply, but you are referring to clear space in my dropbox-map. That will not be enough to get the folder on the drive. I want to upload it without putting it on that drive. I tried the backup option from dropbox, but that only gives me 3 options. Desktop, documents and downloads. And the folder is not located in any of these tree folders. Why can't I select the folder I want?

Explorer | Level 3

The age old question many of us have been asking for years which Dropbox is unwilling to answer or solve.

You need to rethink your local storage, Dropbox isn't going to solve this for you. You used to be able to use symlinks and there were third party solutions but those no longer work. Myself, I bought another 2TB hard drive for about $60 and made that entire drive my Dropbox. It's not ideal, but it's the best option I could think of.

Dropboxer

Selective sync is a storage saving option for your hard drive, not your Dropbox account. 

By using it, you remove folders that are in your Dropbox folder so that they are not stored locally on your computer, but you still keep them in your account. 

If you want to save a folder in your Dropbox account but not have it locally, you can create an empty folder locally, selectively sync it, and upload the files in question via the website. 

This might be a bit of a workaround for you, but let me know if it helps or if you have any other questions. 

Thanks, @stefanpotiau!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I tried this already a few months ago, but because it was such a big folder of 186GB, Dropbox web always stopped after a few hours of uploading so I had to start over from zero and never got it to upload completely. I am a long time user of dropbox and have always loved the fact that I could upload a folder from whatever location to Dropbox, until that feature was gone suddenly. 

Do you know why that is, Lusil?

Thanks,

Stef

Dropboxer

In general, symlinks could cause unexpected and unwanted behaviors. 

However, you can have a look at this article which has more info on using symlinks. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

That feature has been gone for years. Any solution that Dropbox offers is simply mirroring the folder, which doesn't save you any space.

New member | Level 2

It seems that Dropbox is in no way willing to offer this possibility. Will cancel my subscription and switch to another provider that is interested in real customer requirements.

New member | Level 2

This is an absolut deal breaker and just cost you 4 pro accounts, that I was about to order for our company, and if I don't find some workaround for myself, than another plus account.

I have my foto library of 1 TB on a hdd raid. My system runs from a 512GB SSD.

What were you thinking? Is dropbox just for kids?

This is what I got it for, and I didn't realize you canceled that feature.

For real, what were you smoking when you decided this was a good idea. You offer 2TB of Dropbox space on pro. Nowadays most people have less than 1 TB as their main drive. Usually 256-512TB SSD. Not meant for storing files but for running your system. Than you have an external disk, a NAS or some other storage, that you want to backup/sync with dropbox. I can move my main dropbox folder onto that drive.

But than I cannot sync anything on my work disk, stuff I actually want to keep synced up between devices.

Also I used to symlink special folders in my home folder. So I had all my files and settings backuped and synced between my devices.

It's especially infuriating, since this used to work perfectly. But you just removed it.

And I keep recommending you guys to other people. Well, there is nothing that Thiel can't break.

EDIT: The dropbox folder has to be called dropbox? Are you f*§!$% kidding me?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?