cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I use Dropbox as a CDN?

Can I use Dropbox as a CDN?

XP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@XP wrote:
Serve website images from Dropbox by retrieving its image URL with API

You don't need the API to do this. Just get a share link to the image like you would for any other file type, and then change the end of the URL as explained in this help article (change ?dl=0 to ?raw=1).

Again, as Jay explained, share links have a limited amount of bandwidth per day, and if you're linking to large files it could be very easy to exceed that limit and have ALL of your links banned temporarily. Simply put, while you can serve files out of Dropbox, it is not a CDN and you probably shouldn't use it as one. A CDN is usually a network of servers in different geographical locations so that content is served to the user using the closest source. With Dropbox, the data will all come from the same source (i.e., NOT a true CDN).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, how exactly are you planning on using Dropbox in this manner?

If we’re misunderstanding something, please let us know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

XP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Photos-and-videos/How-to-get-url-with-jpg-end-and-what-works-with-im...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@XP wrote:

You don't need the API to do this. Just get a share link to the image like you would for any other file type, and then change the end of the URL as explained in this help article (change ?dl=0 to ?raw=1).

Again, as Jay explained, share links have a limited amount of bandwidth per day, and if you're linking to large files it could be very easy to exceed that limit and have ALL of your links banned temporarily. Simply put, while you can serve files out of Dropbox, it is not a CDN and you probably shouldn't use it as one. A CDN is usually a network of servers in different geographical locations so that content is served to the user using the closest source. With Dropbox, the data will all come from the same source (i.e., NOT a true CDN).

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
To also add in to this that there is no way of monitoring the number of downloads etc. on a file, so, you'll have no idea if the files been download or how many times if you are wanting to limit or restrict it etc.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

RFTaurus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm new when using dropbox, so I read a lot of topic about using dropbox as a CDN, and I find that public folder already remove aroun 2016. so I just wondering, can we still using Dropbox as a CDN in 2020? If I can Use It, can someone give me the tutoria step by step, as I'm quite confused while we can still do it or not.

just for reference, I'm trying to use it like this:

<!-- bootsnav -->
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://www.dl.dropbox.com/s/q02iyrm4zmhce3y/bootsnav.css">

<!-- style -->
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://www.dl.dropbox.com/s/357a8q7wo78hdba/style.css" />

and I find some topic that tell me to use it like this:

<!-- bootsnav -->
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/q02iyrm4zmhce3y/bootsnav.css?raw=1">

<!-- style -->
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/357a8q7wo78hdba/style.css?raw=1" />

While the first example give me: ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

the last one give me: MIME Error

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @RFTaurus, thanks for nudging us on this. 

Out of curiosity, are the shared links working for you? 

Could you also send us a screenshot of the error message?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?