cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mac OS Time Machine

Can I use Mac OS Time Machine?

MattFoster
Helpful | Level 5

Having levelled up from the free version of Dropbox and using Time Machine alongside for years, and now on a professional plan and being told to ditch Time Machine.

This is a potential deal-breaker. Why exactly is it a bad idea to use both together? I find myself stuck here because Dropbox is not a full backup solution, as we are constantly told. So I need to use a full backup solution like TM to back up my system drive - is there another Time Machine like app that I can use that will work alongside Dropbox and is recommended?

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MattFoster, thanks for posting your query to our Community.

Even though Dropbox offers a backup solution, indeed, it's not a backup service in itself.

However, if a file is added to Dropbox and saved in our servers, it's safely stored and easily recoverable, in case of a deletion.

Have you looked into our Dropbox rewind feature?

Let me know how you find it.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MattFoster
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Hannah, thank you for your reply.

Yes I have looked in to the Rewind feature and it is great. I love Dropbox overall, I just like to have 2 physical versions of my project data and 1 Cloud version.

Of course it worries me that Dropbox recommends not to use Time Machine. As I have a 4 TB internal hard drive that is beyond the limit of backing up to Dropbox - plus other project drives. How may I have a local physical back up too if not Time Machine?

Is it possible that I use Dropbox whenever I need to roll back or Rewind a file? And only use Time Machine as backup without accessing the Restore features? Or perhaps get Time Machine to back up everything that Dropbox is not backing up.

For example I have Dropbox backup for the Dropbox Folder, Mac Desktop and Documents. If I have an additional folder outside of those, I can have Time Machine choose to back up only that later folder and not the Desktop etc

Much thanks, Matt

Billiejeane
New member | Level 2
Hi!

I recently had to get my MacBook Pro fixed and unfortunately all my data has been wiped. My last time machine back up was a year ago. But most of my current files since then have been stored on Dropbox.

If I reboot my computer with the old time machine back up will it delete or change my current up to date Dropbox files?

And what can I do to make sure this doesn’t happen? I’m nervous to reinstall my old time machine back up in case I lose all my current Dropbox files!!

Thank you!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Billiejeane, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

Time Machine can indeed affect your Dropbox files, however there's a possible way to avoid that. 

You'd need to make sure the app isn't syncing at the time you use Time Machine. Therefore, signing out of the app is a good idea, since your online files in the cloud will be safe. 

Once everything is back on track with Time Machine and your device, you can re-download the app, and allow for your content to sync from scratch. Would you like to give this one a go?

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?