cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a folder keep the same sharing permissions after being copied?

Can a folder keep the same sharing permissions after being copied?

w71dragon
Helpful | Level 5

We have an issue on folder permissions on copied folders.

Example: Team Folder

D:/Dropbox/projects/Template/Drawings/finished           Folder permissions setup & working

D:/Dropbox/projects/job/Drawings/finished                       All folder permissions reset to parent folder

We have setup the design team able to see and edit the parent & all sub folders.

We have setup the sales team able to only see the finished sub folder

Above works when the folder & permissions are setup in the template but if we then copy the template to a new project we lose all the permissions for the sales team on the sub folder “finished” they don’t get copied across

Is there anyway to retain all folder permissions on  subfolders when copying?

3 Replies 3

Re: Can a folder keep the same sharing permissions after being copied?

Nancy
Dropboxer
Thanks for posting on our Community today, @w71dragon!

When you copy a shared folder to another location, it is basically like creating a new folder with the contents of the old one. 

As a result, the new folder that is created will need to be shared once more with the desired permissions. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

w71dragon
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Nancy

Thanks for the reply.

The Projects folder is a team folder that everyone has access to so when I copy the template folder it is available to everyone its just the permissions get reset to the parent folder, we don't want to have to adjust the permissions everyone time we copy this file within the team folder.

Tony 

Nancy
Dropboxer
Hey Tony, I see what you mean.

If you copy “Template” and paste it within another folder, it will automatically inherit the permissions of the parent folder, "projects”. 

The only way to adjust this is to manually change the sharing permissions of the subfolder each time, depending on the group you want it to share it with.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropboxer
    w71dragon Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?