cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can all team members see all folders?

Can all team members see all folders?

dag83
Explorer | Level 4

I use Dropbox for a service I sell and here we have multiple clients. Most of them has their own Dropbox-account, but some has gotten a license from us.

After lurking around in the admin-console, I suddenly saw one of my clients, (who has gotten license from us) had accessed another clients files (this other client has their own account). But I did not think the client that got the license from us could see this other clients content?

When we get a new client who has their own account, we simply share a folder with them, where all the files goes. But then it seems that the clients with license from us can actually access this too??

When I enter a folder of the client who has their own license, I see 3 members; 1 is me, 1 is my collegaue and 1 is the client himself.

So I did not think the clients that got license from us should have access here??

5 Replies 5

Re: Can all team members see all folders?

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @dag83, thanks for posting today!

Generally, if a team member has access to a (parent) folder, they can access its contents too. 

This is something you can manage from the content tab in your admin console, if you're a team admin.

However, team members cannot access anyone else's personal files, unless this person has shared them with the team.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dag83
Explorer | Level 4

I looked at your link and looked at the folder that I see one of my clients has accessed. And there is only 3 people who has access to it. Me, my colleague and the client.

How can it then be that you log says that another client has downloaded files from this folder multiple times? If he is not in this list he can/should not have access?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @dag83, was there a shared link created to the folder in question? What is the exact message you're seeing in the activity log?

Also, are you certain that you only have 3 active members in your Dropbox Business team?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dag83
Explorer | Level 4

Seems that the client who accessed the files actually had gotten a shared link from the client who got his files accessed, so then nothing is wrong. And just like I hoped; team members can only see the files/folder I set them to have access to.

Jay
Dropboxer
Glad to hear you found out what happened. Just so you know, you can restrict shared links to team members only by following these steps.

Enjoy your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    dag83 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?