cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can members of a shared folder edit from the Dropbox folder?

Highlighted

Can members of a shared folder edit from the Dropbox folder?

Explorer | Level 4

I have very little experience with Dropbox so apologies if this question is really dumb.

I have set up a DB folder on my desktop PC that I sometimes access via my laptop or iphone, - no problem.

This folder is shared to 3 other people who all have editing permision. What i am not clear about, is should they each have a copy (DB folder) on their computers that automatically syncs all copies when edited (as mine do), or should they access the folder online to make any edits? I hope this makes sense.

What i'm getting at is that when i need to edit i go to the folder on my PC and it syncs/updates online accordingly (obviously what Dropbox is about). But is the MO the same for the sharing parties or do they actually need to go online to edit?

Thanks in advance for your input

Terry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Shared folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Terry!

For this reason, users don’t need to navigate to the website to make changes, they can do it directly from the desktop app on their computers or the mobile app on their mobile devices, as long as they are part of and are making these edits in the shared folder. 

Spoiler
I also wanted to mention that if you’re sharing a folder or file with a lot of users, you can also check out the Dropbox badge, which alerts you as people open, edit, and update a file that you’re currently workin....
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us, we are always just a click away. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Shared folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Terry!

For this reason, users don’t need to navigate to the website to make changes, they can do it directly from the desktop app on their computers or the mobile app on their mobile devices, as long as they are part of and are making these edits in the shared folder. 

Spoiler
I also wanted to mention that if you’re sharing a folder or file with a lot of users, you can also check out the Dropbox badge, which alerts you as people open, edit, and update a file that you’re currently workin....
If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us, we are always just a click away. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?