cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can no longer copy & replace a file in Dropbox

Helpful | Level 6

Until today, I could copy a file & when I pasted it in Dropbox, it would replace the existing file.  Now, it makes a new one.  I don't want to do this.  How can I copy & replace?

Thank you,

L

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can no longer copy & replace a file in Dropbox

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the reply.  I just figured it out.  The interface changed.  Anyway, I'm on a Mac OS  10.12.6desktop.  What I have to do is choose the Mac Finder option to get the interface I need.  That interface allows me to copy & replace.  It's an extra step ... which is a drag, but not the end of the world.

Thanks again!

L

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @merriweather, I hope you're having a good day so far!

So I can have a better understanding of this, can you clarify for me where you're taking this action? The website, mobile app or desktop app?

Also, if it's on your desktop, can you let me know if this is through the new desktop app interface or your file browser?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the reply.  I just figured it out.  The interface changed.  Anyway, I'm on a Mac OS  10.12.6desktop.  What I have to do is choose the Mac Finder option to get the interface I need.  That interface allows me to copy & replace.  It's an extra step ... which is a drag, but not the end of the world.

Thanks again!

L

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @merriweather!

Thanks for your feedback on this too, as you mentioned you can take this action through your Finder window rather than the new desktop app interface.

If there's anything else that I can help with, please feel free to nudge me here anytime.

Have a great week ahead!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Unwanted duplication of files instead of replacing/updating

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I use dropbox to share work documents with staff.  Amongst these documents are various schedules.  These are constantly changing.  Prior to the recent update, I would update the files and schedules on my desk top (windows) then simply select the updated files, 'COPY' them from my desk top, then paste them intot he apprpriate folder on dropbox.  The old system would simply ask if I wanted to replace the older existing versions, I would click REPLACE, and the older versions on dropbox would be updated with the new versions from my desk top.  NO PROBLEM!  Now, if I use the copy and paste approach, it simply adds the new files without replacing the old.  Creates too many versions.  Do not like it one bit.  Any suggestions?   Never had this issue before with the previous version fo dropbo.

Highlighted

Re: Unwanted duplication of files instead of replacing/updating

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @wachtelbornd, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I've just moved your post here as it seems you have the same question as the OP here.

To replace the file instead of creating a copy, I can suggest copying and pasting the file through the File Explorer instead of the new app interface.

The new interface is an addition, so if you prefer to revert back to using just your File Explorer, you can follow the steps here to set that as the default.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

YES!!!!  That seems to have done the trick!!!!!   THAAAAAAAANK YOU!!!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

You're more than welcome @wachtelbornd!

Should you have any other questions or need assistance with anything else, I'd be happy to help out.

Hope you have a great start to your week!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?