cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer open powerpoint files

Can no longer open powerpoint files

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

I tried to back up all my files last night and they seem to have vanished from my laptop and are now only on my dropbox. When I tried to download them back to my mac, all of my powerpoints now have a spaceship symbol next to them (word and excel documents still have the normal symbol next to them and open fine) and wont open. Dropbox says there is an error previewing them but gives me the option to download however when I download my laptop says there is no availible application to open the document with (depsite it being a ppt and I have ppt). I have no idea what to do as im new to dropbox and fear I may have lost 3 years of uni work. 

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @sophiieallan; welcome to our Community!

Can you please clarify if you're able to preview your files normally on our website and how did you upload them in the first place? 

For example, did you install the desktop app and copied or moved those files in your Dropbox folder or maybe you enabled the computer backup feature?

If you are using the desktop application indeed, can you send us a screenshot of its status as shown in your menu bar? Is it 'up to date' or still syncing?

Thanks so much, Sophie. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter, 

No I cannot view them on the website version either. I believe I had automatic syncing switched on? The desktop app is saying up to date yet my files will still not open. 

Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
In your Dropbox folder on your computer @sophiieallan, do you see the "My PC/My Mac" folder there to try and open the files within locally?

If you don't see this folder (or any of the contents), please make sure that you have the option to show hidden files enabled on your computer.

You can do a quick web search on how to do this depending on your OS version if you're not sure how.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne, 

Thank you! That shows the folders however they still wont open. I have tried to copy and paste these items into my main documents folder but this doesnt work either. Any ideas on how to open them?

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

When I try to preview the documents on dropbox it says '.icloud files can’t be previewed.' despite the file not being a .icloud. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @sophiieallan, it definitely sounds like the file is now a .icloud file. If you attach a screenshot, it should be visible in the file name. The UFO icon indicates that it can't be previewed on Dropbox, so most likely all those files you see are now .icloud files.

This happens if you use iCloud to backup your files, it stores files in the Documents folder, and others, in their servers. If you enabled the computer backup feature, it's possible that Dropbox saved these .icloud files from the Documents folder instead of the full versions.

Could you try recovering the files from iCloud to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, 

Thanks, I've managed to access my iCloud drive however they aren't on the iCloud drive either or in my recently deleted on iCloud. Furthermore the un-openable files have no vanished from my dropbox app. I have no idea what's happened? Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Could you check the version history of one of the files to see if you can recover an old version with all the data in it?

You can also try using a third party app or service to recover files from your computer.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, 

That doesn't seem to do anything as the older version also seems to be corrupted too. Is it due to it being a .icloud file?

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 13.00.44.png

 Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sophiieallan Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?