cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer open powerpoint files

Can no longer open powerpoint files

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

I tried to back up all my files last night and they seem to have vanished from my laptop and are now only on my dropbox. When I tried to download them back to my mac, all of my powerpoints now have a spaceship symbol next to them (word and excel documents still have the normal symbol next to them and open fine) and wont open. Dropbox says there is an error previewing them but gives me the option to download however when I download my laptop says there is no availible application to open the document with (depsite it being a ppt and I have ppt). I have no idea what to do as im new to dropbox and fear I may have lost 3 years of uni work. 

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Yes, a .icloud file is a file that has been uploaded to iCloud, so the file is simply a placeholder, which you can see by the file size being only 178 bytes, which is extremely small for any file.

Since it looks like the files can't be recovered by Dropbox, you'll need to see if there's another recovery service or app that can help on your machine. 

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sophiieallan
Explorer | Level 4

okay

Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sophiieallan Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?