cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can no longer overwrite synching files

Highlighted

Can no longer overwrite synching files

Helpful | Level 5

I've been using dropbox for a few years now, at work, and at home (with a seperate pro account). 

I've noticed lately that on both accounts, i can no longer overwrite files that are currently synching. Unsure if it's directly related but it seems to have started a few months ago when dropbox performed it's 'one time update' (for the whole day i should add). 

I do 3D work, and am constantly saving and resaving large files that take at least a few minutes to synch, sometimes whole folders that are many gbs (autosaves for Gaming Engines like Ue4 for example) are being synched. Now every time I try to save over a file that is currently synching, i will get an error, or sometimes worse, I don't get an error, but the file is either corrupt or it's the old file when I open up the file later. 

Did something change to the policy or is this somehow something that's changed in my preferences on all 3 of my workstations simultaneously? 

Thanks for any information you can provide in advance. 

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @slowgojoe, thanks for checking in with us! 

From what I understand, you're getting an error message when you try to save changes to a file that's trying to sync the first set of edits that you've made, is that right?

Out of curiosity, are you getting the same experience when the file has completed syncing? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Yes thats correct. If the file is fully synched, then everything works fine.

Actually just tested this in photoshop as well by trying to overwrite an actively synching file (my photoshop files are sometimes around 1.5gb so they take a few minutes to synch) and i receive an error in photoshop stating "Could not save as "filepath.psd" because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file."

I totally understand that it's a best practice to wait for the file to synch completely. but in my workplace environment with other people saving 3D files and huge images, dropbox is almost always synchronizing (that's not the issue though). And saving frequently is a good habit, not one to be avoided in my industry. 

More than anything, if a policy change has been put in place, I just want to know, so I don't feel like i'm going crazy. It's possible that this has always been the behavior though, and i am just now noticing for some reason.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @slowgojoe

Hmm. What you can try is temporarily close or pause the desktop app, make changes to your file(s), and then run it again.

By following these steps, although the desktop app isn't constantly syncing every change you make, you should be able to save your edits without getting any errors. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Yes, actually, that's what i've resorted to, but I don't see this as a solution long term. I do appreciate your help though.

Again, I simply want to know if there was a policy change, and if that's what is responsible for my noticing this behavior. Is it some sort of secret? Does dropbox write files and assign permissions differently than it did 2 or 3 months ago?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It sounds like the app trying to keep a consistent structure and, to reflect the permissions content in your Dropbox account, it's preventing you from saving new changes while the file is being synced. 

I completely understanding that this may not be the ideal for you, but note that your feedback is greatly appreciated on this. 

If there's anything else I can do to help or if you have any other questions in the meantime, let me know. Thanks, @slowgojoe!

Lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Ok well that's a bit unfortunate to hear. Is there anywhere I can officially log my complaint against what at this point i can only assume was a change in how dropbox handles permissions with the latest big update?

I'll give it a month or so but this is a deal breaker for us, so we'll have to be looking for other services if this is how dropbox performs from here on out. I truly wish there was a bit more transparency on how and why this change was implemented. But, I understand i'm just one user with a unique use case, so I don't expect anything to come of this. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?