cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not share or create link

Can not share or create link

Jkonneker
Explorer | Level 3

I have a file I am trying to create a shared link and am unable to do so. Keep getting error message something went wrong and we were unable to create a shared link.

That error is on both an iPad and iPhone via the Dropbox app.

On a Windows pc through Firefox, chrome, Microsoft edge, internet explorer I get the error you do not have permission to do that.

So I have tried 2 different mobile devices (iPad and iPhone) through the actual Dropbox app. 4 different web browsers on a windows device. All give same result. I have also tried logging out of the app and logging back in. Reinstalling app. I even created a new login and password. Cache and cookies cleared from all 4 web browsers I tried.

7 Replies 7

Re: Can not share or create link

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Jkonneker; welcome to the Community!

It seems like your shared links may have been banned; how long have you been getting this error message?

Let me know and we'll take it from there!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jkonneker
Explorer | Level 3

Since the creation of the account.

I had one account that was giving this issue.

In order to troubleshoot I created a new account using a neww email address and it's doing the same thing under the brand new account.

Walter
Dropboxer
May I ask for a screenshot of the exact error you're getting at the moment @Jkonneker?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jkonneker
Explorer | Level 3
How do I post a screenshot to this forum post? There are no options to upload or attach files.

Daphne
Dropboxer

You can upload a screenshot from the camera icon just above the reply box @Jkonneker.

Here's where you should see it:

Add a screenshot.jpg

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Jkonneker
Explorer | Level 3

One image is from my desktop through a web browser.  I always get the error that I do not have permission to create a link.

The other two screen shots are from my iphone via the dropbox app.

image 2.PNGimage 3.PNGimage1.png

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for that @Jkonneker!

We'll need to have a look into this further through our Support channel, so we can check some account specific info.

I've just sent you a message to the email linked with your profile here, so please get back to me there when you can - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?