cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can open all my file in dropbox

Can open all my file in dropbox

longnqk
Explorer | Level 4

Hi ,

i am using everything normally but starting yesterday i started to open dropbox on my mac all the files i open are not working please guide me to fix physical;
all show the following warning message: " Canot open the file "...." because the file format or file extension is not valid, verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the files.

Thanks 

11 Replies 11

Re: Can open all my file in dropbox

Chris_J
Super User

Hello longnqk

Thanks for reaching out in the Community.

In order to help you, I need to understand how you use Dropbox.  When you stated "open dropbox on my mac' Do you mean you opened a Finder window and went to Dropbox folder and you double click any of the files within that folder and they won't open, correct?

Or are you working on the website (via dropbox.com)?  if so, in order to work off them, you need to download the files, and even then, you need to make sure all the bits of the file is fully downloaded in order to open correctly.

Let me know and with a bit more information we can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

longnqk
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Chrish,

I open file in finder in mac but all file can not work, then i open file in old laptop (win 10) but not work, i had check in dropbox in chrome web but not work , i had check file in dropbox my iphone is same thing, how can i view it pls help me bc some data is very impotant with my work.
Thanks for advance

Chris_J
Super User

Thanks for getting back with me on this.  Okay, lets get to the basics here. You say, you open up file in finder.  FYI, the files you see are actual files just like any other files in your whole Harddrive.  The only difference is that Dropbox client syncs changes.

SO if you can't open the files in your finder window, then its not a Dropbox issue.  All it does is sync changes.  If you cant open it on your mac, then your synced files in your linked laptop will not work as well. (Likely)

Here is an important thing to know, you have to have the application that to open up the file, Dropbox just syncs files, so for example: on your iPhone, you will notice the files but to open them, you need an app to view/ or even edit them.  If on iPhone you do have an app, then you can select the file and open or sometimes, you need to click on the three dots on the top of the screen and select share then select Export file.  When you do that a window would show up and you select what app to use.  

Dropbox on your iPhone just displays the file, oftentimes, you need to tell it to export or share and tell it to use an app.

Hopes this helps.

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

longnqk
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Chris,

I do everything to be able to open my files including using dropbox at laptop (Win 10), Mac (11.4), Iphone, changing format from online to local file and vice versa. However, files with formats such as: Jpeg, PNG, Exel, Word, PDF, Kml... even on my old laptop I'm using, it doesn't work and gives the error "file not format, no incorupt.." ...

Pls help me,

Chris_J
Super User

Okay, I have a hard time believing that you can't open any files.  Where were these files resided the first time before using Dropbox?  If you have the literal file on your Hard drive and they don't open then either something is corrupted or there are missing parts of the file.

I would like you to try something.  Can you add the correct extension to the filename?  if it a pic, try adding .jpeg or a word file, add .doc to it, and see if it's open

I work on a video that you can view in a little bit.

Chris_J
Super User

Try looking at this video of me opening up a finder window and such

https://capture.dropbox.com/9xj1wFT38r5cSZqG 

longnqk
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Chris,

I had check all file in both Mac and Window with all format is had not work, even with the original file created on windows machine can't open it, i try the files on laptop all work fine, account problem or not, i try another dropbox shared with me but it also didn't work and fell into the same situation.  (I also showed the format extension, changed but it still doesn't work)

https://capture.dropbox.com/rNJCaIENGU1j4pl0

Best regard

Lori
Dropboxer
Happy Monday @longnqk, and I'm sorry to hear about this!

Could you share a screenshot of the exact error message you get so I can have a visual of the problem too?

Thanks in advance!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chris_J
Super User

Thanks so much for the video screen capture.  That explains a lot.

FYI, you are not using the Desktop Client but using the web interface.  That's an entirely different scenario.  I assume if you download those particular files, it will open without issues, correct?

if that is the case, then it might be a problem with the browser extension that allows it to open with an application.  I wouldn't know what to do from here.  I do see that a member of the Dropbox team has asked you a question.  They should be able to help you from this point forward.

Good luck

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris_J Super User
    longnqk Explorer | Level 4
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?