cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Backup - Folders not in default locations

Can't Backup - Folders not in default locations

ashatdmvi
New member | Level 2

Hey

Im trying to setup my backup... and it suggested backing up Desktop, Documents and Download folder.

But it gives me some errors (see below)

Capture43.JPG

OK So i click "More Info" and it takes me here - https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

Which doesn't tell me how to solve the problem.

Who can help? Thank you, in advance

3 Replies 3

Re: Can't Backup - Folders not in default locations

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @ashatdmvi, I hope you're well today!

Could you check out the info listed in the troubleshooting section of this article?

For the first and last error, you'll need to have Dropbox on the same drive as the folders that you're trying to backup. So, you may need to move Dropbox back to the default location on your computer.

Let me know if the info in the linked article helps at all!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ashatdmvi
New member | Level 2

OK, I tried that, but maybe I misunderstood...?

I have a dedicated hard drive for Dropbox, E drive.

So when it said that any folders that I backup need to be on the same drive, I thought I would be able to just change the "Default" location of my Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders to the E drive (same drive as all my dropbox files)...

But now I get this and different error than last time:

Capture44.JPG 

Isn't there any way I can have these folders backup from my E drive, now that I have changed the "Default" location?

I don't have much room on my C drive, so I can't move these folders AND my dropbox to my C drive... I have multiple TB in my dropbox so there is just no way I can move it there.

I guess this means I can't backup these folders because my Dropbox account is larger than my C drive...? 

Seems weird, so I'm just assuming that I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for your assistance 

Daphne
Dropboxer
The folders would need to be in the default locations in order to back them up with Dropbox, so you would need to have Dropbox on your C drive for this to work correctly, @ashatdmvi.

Since you have a lot of data syncing with Dropbox, have you considered using Smart Sync, or selective sync?

Using either of those methods would help reduce the space the Dropbox folder takes on your computer, so that you could move Dropbox to your C drive if you want to enable the computer backup.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?