cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Download Renamed Pictures Successfully

Can't Download Renamed Pictures Successfully

DBUser55
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

I want the ability to rename my photos once they've been uploaded to dropbox and then download those renamed photos to my computer. Being able to rename the photos on dropbox isn't hard, but I'm noticing two issues occur when I try to download and open these renamed pictures:

1. They do not show as the renamed file name, they still have the default time stamp as the file name
  2. They do not open at all on my computer. I get the message "It looks like we don't support this file format", even though it is saving as a .jpg. 

Interestingly, if I don't rename the picture or return the file name to the original default name, I can download and open just fine, but once I rename the picture I get the above two issues. For context I want to take pictures of inventory items and then rename the files to the stock numbers so they are more easily identifiable. 

Would appreciate any advice as I believe this functionality should be working!

5 Replies 5

Re: Can't Download Renamed Pictures Successfully

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @DBUser55, I hope you're having a good day!

Can you just clarify for me, once you've renamed the file, are you downloading the file from the web browser on your computer, or do you have the desktop app installed?

Could you send me a screenshot of the error that you get when you try and open one of the renamed files too? The visual is always helpful.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DBUser55
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the response!

I'm downloading the file from the web browser to my computer. I just tagged mobile because the picture is originally coming from my phone, but I'm accessing it from my computer. Here's an example of the error message I get when I try to download the renamed picture:

DBUser55_0-1614809482476.png

Let me know if you need to see anything else!

Daphne
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for that screenshot @DBUser55!

Just to confirm, once you've renamed the file, are you able to view the image correctly through the Dropbox website?

Also, for this file, can you let me know what the original name of the file was?

If you possibly have another app on your computer that can open images, are you able to open the renamed image there, or do you still receive the same error?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DBUser55
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Yes, I'm able to view the renamed picture on the dropbox website. However it seems to automatically rename that photo back to the default name once I try downloading it. As for its original name, I'm not sure if dropbox renames pictures when they're first uploaded but I imagined it would be the time stamp that you see in my last response without the (1) suffix. 

The downloaded renamed picture doesn't open on Paint, Paint3D, or through Adobe Acrobat DC. You can see in the below screenshot, though, that it looks like it's not even downloading anything once it's renamed since the file size is 0KB. The file on the bottom is the original photo not renamed, and the top one is the "renamed" photo without the changed name:

DBUser55_0-1615054142936.png

I'm trying to rename these photos to ID numbers so in dropbox for example I renamed the test photo to 15-2021-03-03 09.06.47. In other words I just added the prefix of 15-[original time stamp name]. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @DBUser55, are you getting the same issue if they download another file format?

How about if you download the files from a different browser or an incognito window, or after clearing the cache?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?