cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Enable Smart Sync: Blocked plugin doesn't appear in system preferences

Can't Enable Smart Sync: Blocked plugin doesn't appear in system preferences

Explorer | Level 3

Subject says it all—when I click the dialog prompt and system preferences is opened, there is no "plugin blocked click to allow" prompt. There is nothing at all, just the typical System Preferences Privacy and Security window.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
MBP 2018 15"
Machine is IT administered but I have admin access

9 Replies 9

Re: Can't Enable Smart Sync: Blocked plugin doesn't appear in system preferences

Dropboxer

Hi there @brdhll, let's see what we can find here. 

Could you clarify if you've confirmed with your IT team that you have permission to change your permission status on the Mac?

Also, if you could send me a screenshot of the error message, that would be super helpful. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Can't Enable Smart Sync: Blocked plugin doesn't appear in system preferences

Explorer | Level 3

Here's what happens—button pops open system preferences, but there is no dialog asking for permissions:Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 10.15.11 AM.png

Dropboxer

Could you also check which version of the desktop app you're running? 

You can do that by hovering over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Yes! It is 113.3.427

Dropboxer

Could you try reinstalling the desktop app to the latest stable version and trying again? Maybe that will do the trick. 

To do this, you'll first have to uncheck the option to be included in Early Releases in your online account settings.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I've reinstalled the client and am experiencing the same issue—is there any way to manually give access to the plugin without system preferences blocking access first?

Dropboxer

Hi everyone, this could be due to a Mac OS restriction regarding third party peripherals or remotely accessing the moachine.

Could you check if these steps in an old post could help you out?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3
Joy, in this case it isn’t that clicking the approve button has no effect, but that the dialog doesn’t even appear. There is no button to click.

If there is some Terminal workaround, would be glad to hear it.

Dropboxer

Hi @brdhll, have you tried the Terminal command in the previous post I linked to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?