Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't Put Dropbox Logo on Dropbox Folder! (Mac)

Helpful | Level 5

Years ago I modified my Dropbox folder with the Dropbox logo, so that the folder was quickly recognizeable in the Dock. About 2 years ago or so, after an upgrade, the logo would vanish after every re-boot of my Mac...but that was fine. I just re-added the logo right after startup and it was fine until the next reboot.

Starting this week (after the latest app update), it is impossible to add the Dropbox logo to the Dropbox folder. No matter what method I use (dragging an .icns file onto the "get info" screen for the Dropbox folder, or cutting and pasting the image), the Dropbox logo appears for less than half a second...then reverts back to the standard folder shape.

It's not a big deal; it doesn't affect functionality. But I access my Dropbox folder all day long, and it was so much easier to have the irregularly shaped Dropbox icon stand out in my Dock rather than what looks, at a glance, like every other blue folder!

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't Put Dropbox Logo on Dropbox Folder! (Mac)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for your speedy response as well Paul; I appreciate it!

I also appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your use-case; these always help us paint a better picture of our users' needs and pain points.

I won't be able to comment on if or when a change like the one you described might be implemented. 

That being said, note that you can share your thoughts, ideas and/or feature requests on the 'Share an Idea' section of our Community so other similar-minded users can find and upvote it too (or even share their own use-cases, feedback, pain points).

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with in the meantime. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @PaulER - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

We've implemented a fix in a new version of the Dropbox desktop application that ensures consistent folder icons along with file/folder permissions for items in the Dropbox folder.

This means that you may see that custom folder icons are removed. Additionally, if you have files or folders in the Dropbox folder with custom permissions (such as custom POSIX permissions or BSD flags), these may be removed to ensure the file syncs to other devices without any issues.

I hope this clears things up a tad while I'm always a post away if you have any more questions. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Walter,

Thanks for the swift reply. (And I guess I was afraid that it might be a feature, not a bug.)

If users no longer have control over the appearance of the Dropbox folder, do you know if tehre are any plans to make it more distinctive? (If it looked like the Dropbox app, that would be great.) The Dropbox folder is my go-to destination on my Dock, and it's disappointing to have it look like every other blue rectangle folder. (Yes, I know it has a faint image of the Dropbox logo...but not something one can see at-a-glance.) If that isn't an appearance change that's being considered ... I'd love to add it to the suggestion box!

Thanks again for your help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for your speedy response as well Paul; I appreciate it!

I also appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your use-case; these always help us paint a better picture of our users' needs and pain points.

I won't be able to comment on if or when a change like the one you described might be implemented. 

That being said, note that you can share your thoughts, ideas and/or feature requests on the 'Share an Idea' section of our Community so other similar-minded users can find and upvote it too (or even share their own use-cases, feedback, pain points).

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with in the meantime. 

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

PaulER, thanks for bringing this up!

Walter, thanks for the quick and straightforward reply.

Just wanted to provide another data point. I have also kept a custom icon for Dropbox in the Dock for years. I even made a bash script and LaunchAgent to make sure it sticks (and fix a weird issue with the "Icon?" file).

I would absolutely love for this option to be restored. 

PaulER, if you created a post in "Share an Idea", can you link it here so I can upvote?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Avtraino: Thanks for the message. As you asked, here is a link to the post in the "Share an Idea" section.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Dropbox-Logo-on-Dropbox-Folder/idi-p/389732

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?