cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Sync, (not enough free disk Space ) The Saga Continues...

Can't Sync, (not enough free disk Space ) The Saga Continues...

Explorer | Level 3

Okay, there are lots and lots of posts regarding this. I need to know:

• Is this problem is going to be fixed or what?
  • If you are unable to fix it, can give a satisfactory explanation so everyone here can read this and know what is happening?

I've went though the many many posts about this and there still isn't really a solution. Is that truly the case because I'm going to have to find another service for me and my company.

My files have stopped syncing when I have 33GB available on my hard drive and have only used 63% of 3.1TB online. I am using selctive sync so I'm not even syncing all my files. I'm using OSX 10.14.6 with Dropbox v108.4.453

I've seen explanations where you blame it on the OS and tell people to take it up with them. Not really a solution when this clearly is a problem with so many of your customers. It's absolutely clear this is a bug given how many people are complaining about this. Please do something because you MUST see this is a problem. If you can't fix it, at least modify your vague error message to avoid all of this confusion.

8 Replies 8

Re: Can't Sync, (not enough free disk Space ) The Saga Continues...

Dropboxer

Hi there @Flashinpan, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

We haven't had many reports of this recently or identified a bug in this error message being shown incorrectly.

This notification would be due to a lack of space on the device that you're trying to sync, or perhaps even trying to sync folders that are larger than expected.

Since you mentioned that you have 33 GB free on your device, can you please send over a screenshot of the space usage you see from your computer settings?

Perhaps the free space on your computer is "purgeable space", which is usually freed up automatically when needed, but may not be working as expected in this case.

If you're not sure how to check this, please have a look here for some more info.

Looking forward to hearing back from you to investigate further!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Umm, you, "haven't had many reports of this?" Why don't you check again. There are DOZENS. 

I shouldn't need to "purge" this space because it happens as needed.  The fact is even without purging, I DO have enough space to sync the few folders I am "selectivily" syncing. I have 83 GB. You can see that from the screenshot. You can also see the Dropbox icon at the top grayed out and non-functional.

No, this is certainly a problem.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 2.48.48 PM.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Flashinpan.

Apologies if I wasn't very clear before, I was referring to recent reports of this error being shown incorrectly when the device indeed has space free.

If you haven't already, please reboot the computer to see if this helps at all.

If you don't see any difference in the free space reported by your device, and the desktop app shows the same error, can you try downloading a small folder from your account online from the website to see if you receive any errors regarding available space on your device as a test?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I downloaded a small folder from the Dropbox website and it downloaded without any errors or "out-of-space" warnings.

I startedup another Mac that I use with this account (also with selective sync) and it too is giving me this out of space message it it has 310GB available. So I know this problem isn't localized to one machine.

It doesn't matter how much space is available on any machine. This error is happening everywhere now. I would say this is becoming a serious problem.

Explorer | Level 3

So the only thing I can gather from this thread after five days is that there is no solution to this problem.

If you are on a Mac and having this same issue, there is your answer.

Dropboxer

Hmmm I see, thanks for checking that @Flashinpan.

I would like to have a better look into this with you through our Support channel so that we can look at this alongside some device/account specific info.

Would you mind if I reached out to the email linked with your profile here? 

Otherwise, you can reach out to the team via the options for your plan here too.

Let me know - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

You can contact me via the e-mail attached to my account.

Dropboxer

I've reached out to your email @Flashinpan, when you have the chance please check your inbox and get back to me there to continue where we left off here. Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?