cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access any files - appended with "com.dropbox.attributes". Any help?

Can't access any files - appended with "com.dropbox.attributes". Any help?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to access some files (pictures and videos) from an old phone of mine (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) that I backed up on dropbox years ago, I think 2013. I'm currently using a macbook, and when I open the folder on dropbox and on my computer all the files end with .png/com.dropbox.attributes. I can't even preview any of them. Please help me access these files I've searched over forums but can't seem to find any clear answers as to how I can access them. Capture d’écran 2021-01-07 à 13.50.47.pngCapture d’écran 2021-01-07 à 13.51.35.png

5 Replies 5

Re: Can't access any files - appended with "com.dropbox.attributes". Any help?

Dropboxer

Hey there @malicktb, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Can you have a look at this post by Walter, and let me know what you find in the version history for the file?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

This is what I find. This folder of files by the way is a shared folder that is shared to me by a relative. Sorry the text is in french, but it seems like there is only one version.Capture d’écran 2021-01-08 à 12.07.40.png

Dropboxer

Were the files in this folder always showing these "com.dropbox.attributes", since the folder was shared with you, @malicktb?

Do you see any additional info if you check the version history of one of the files within the shared folder?

Also, does your device meet the system requirements for the desktop app? More specifically, we'd be looking to see if the file format is supported.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Back when I did the backup, the files working fine and I use to be able to see them on the dropbox app of my Galaxy Nexus. So these "com.dropbox.attributes" files just appeared now that I'm trying to access them a few years later. Maybe its because my phone was samsung and now I'm using a mac ? 

For the version history, it is the same as the screenshot I sent for all the other files. So there are no additional information than the ones that I sent on the screenshot. 

My device meets the system requirement for the desktop app. I'm using MAC OS Big Sur and my hard drive is APFS format. 

Dropboxer

Are these the only files that appear within this folder, @malicktb?

These actually contain metadata, so they don't contain the actual file information itself, which is why they can't be opened or previewed.

Can you try sorting the files by size, so that largest will appear at the top of the folder, and let me know if the actual .png files are there?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?