Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't create local un-synced folder with Selective Sync any more?

Explorer | Level 4

I used to be able to use Selective Sync to un-sync a folder, then create a local version in the same place with the same name. This won't create a conflict, the folder icon will be a small grey badge instead of the green checkmark. I still have several such grey folders in my dropbox folder, they're not synced, and also not in conflict.

However, today when I try to create something similar, I find I can no longer do it.

This is what I do:

1. create a folder called "junk".

2. de-selected it with Selective Sync, it'll be immediately deleted from my hard drive.

3. re-create the "junk" folder, it'll become "junk (Selective Sync Conflict)".

Another route I tried (this is just a test, not how I used to do it):

1. create a folder called "junk".

2. de-selected it with Selective Sync, it'll be immediately deleted from my hard drive.

3. delete the "junk" folder on dropbox.com 

4. re-create the "junk" folder locally - it'll become a synced folder (exact same status as step 1).

(I'm on Dropbox v91.4.548 on Win10)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't create local un-synced folder with Selective Sync any more?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Quuzuu,

For local files/folders without sync ( that's what you ask for - right? ) take a look here: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/ignored-files

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Quuzuu, thanks for posting on the Community!

In relation to your query, it sounds like you might be running an updated version of the Dropbox desktop application that immediately syncs this "Selective Sync conflict" instead of adding a gray circle to the folder.

In either case, if the folder begins syncing on its own, or you resume syncing by updating your selective sync settings in the Dropbox desktop application preferences, you may see that “(Selective Sync conflict)” is added to the name.

In this case, both folders (the one with the original name and the one with “(Selective Sync conflict)” appended) will sync to your account online. It won’t be possible to create a local version of the folder with the same name for a folder that is already deselected from selective sync.

I hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, I'm on Dropbox v91.4.548 on Win10, could you please give me an example of the correct steps to create a grey un-synced folder locally that works for you?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again, as I mentioned at the end of my post, it won’t be possible to create that kind of folder any longer.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

OK thanks.

Highlighted

Hi @Quuzuu,

For local files/folders without sync ( that's what you ask for - right? ) take a look here: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/ignored-files

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Здравко,

Thanks so much!

I tried and it didn't work, maybe I did something wrong, but that's ok, it's very relieving to know it's in beta, I can wait for the stable release. Right now I can make do with a directory junction.

I do have a question about this part in you link:

Once ignored, the file or folder remains where it is in your Dropbox folder and is synced to your computer’s hard drive, but it’s deleted from the Dropbox server and your other devices, can’t be accessed on dropbox.com, and won’t sync to your Dropbox account. 

I'm not sure what "synced to your computer's hard drive" means. Isn't it already in the hard drive? Is it talking about my other computer's hard drive? Like it'll not take up space in my account, not show on dropbox.com, but will appear in my other computers? 

Highlighted

Good question!

Seems the person writing this has not been very careful. Actually the content is removed from the account (and if already synced to another devices, gets removed there also). Local content stay there and the sync stopping is the only thing happens (i.e. no any change will be forwarded to your account or another device), nothing more - no sync for local content definitely (and couldn't be, of course).

The publication seems isn't updated - this feature is in stable release already. So I have no idea why you can't use it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Здравко, thanks! 

I take back what I previous said about using directory juntions - it doesn't work after all.

So now I really want to make the ignore work - I'm on Dropbox v91.4.548 on Win10, and have tried 2 different computers, no luck - can't get a grey icon to show. 

If you try it on your computer, does it work?

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi @Quuzuu,

Yes, I try it on my computer and it works. I use the same Dropbox version like you, but (to be honest) I don't use Windows (for me it's buggy OS), so I have not test the Windows variant. As far as I know, it works (far from the best, but works). A typical error is blank symbols in files/directories name left untagged. In this case particular file and/or folder couldn't be found (space symbols, when untagged, have special meaning - separators). Are you sure in your path, which you want to ignore, no any space symbol (or similar) exists? Or, if there is such, had you tag everything in appropriate manner? Most easier way is to put entire path in quotes. Did you try this.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?